Respirators

I wear glasses and I was wondering what some of you wear for a respirator when inspecting attics and crawls. I have not been able to find one that doesn’t fog my glasses- particularly in the summer. What the names of the good ones?

Thanks in Advance,

Rick
Heads Up Home Inspections, Inc.

No respirator should fog your glasses. Otherwise, you’re not getting the protection that you’re expecting. Fogged glasses mean a poor seal around your face.

I bought a cheapy respirator from Home Depot for $50, that has never fogged my glasses.

It could be as simple as making some minor adjustments to the fit of your respirator.

1 Like

I don’t use respirators in every attic, only when I see material that I’m not familiar with.

When I do dawn a respirator, I use the Home Depot special…
](http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=165522&cm_mmc=affiliate_sortprice--product_feed--D25X-_-165522&srccode=cii_16435691&cpncode=10-16857975-2)

I keep a few of these in my tool bag.

I think i use the same as Jeff. Has the filter canisters with the yellow and purples stripes on them. Replacements are about 15-16 bucks. Its also approved for mold which comes in handy with some of the nasty crawlspaces i run into. Used to use a cheaper one and would have resperatory issues for 3-4 days after accessing the bad ones.

Adam, A Plus

Damn, maybe that’s why I’m wheezing every day.

Just kidding…

Those “dust masks” don’t protect against mold, asbestos or pesticides. . .

Jeff,

We don’t get much mold in attics out here. And if there were Mold signs or issues, I don’t enter the attic.

As for the asbestos, I’m not rolling around in the attic.

I rarely use any protection in attics. Crawl spaces are another story. Years and years of residue from pesticides, animal carcases, mold/fungus and other substances are in the crawl space dust.

1 Like

Now that explains the difference between you and I.

We don’t have many crawl spaces. I do enjoy inspecting while standing in our NE full basements.

Hey guys- thanks for the info.

Rick

Get a couple for free. Fit great and comfortable. :slight_smile: :wink:

http://www.moldex.com/disposablerespirators.htm