Retrotec Blower Door & Duct Blaster with Free BPI / LEED training

After all of my research the Energy Conservatory fan is the best choice and recommended by the training I had from my State. Is what they use and have programs setup to use as well, also what they use to do QA on your test. Check with your State before buying one, glad I did:)

http://www.pacificnorthwestinspections.com/nachi.gif

I’m watching and waiting as well. I think we’re going to find moving forward that blower door testing is a technology that wasn’t well thought out. Now there’s too much money invested in it to bow out gracefully.

Homes leak. We all know that. We also know where they leak from. Quantifying that leakage seems pretty pointless.

On the surface, quantifying the leakage amount does not seem important if you are going to spend several hours and just seal up everything.

The point of quantifying the number is in verifying performance. In order for a home to qualify for an energy efficient mortgage the house must have a HERS rating. Part of that HERS rating is the airtightness level. For low-income weatherization programs the number is used to show that an improvement was made and must be verified. For homes to qualify for energy star labeling they must be tested based on the HERS rating.

The blower door test is a snapshot of performance just as an infrared camera image is a snapshot of the perfromance of the wall or structure.

Frank Spevak
The Energy Conservatory

I heard a rumor that NH may change it’s energy code to include blower door testing on all new homes and any renovations that includes a change to the building envelope.

I’ll keep you posted, I hope to know more by this time next month.