Revenue and Tax Question

A well run well known company can be sold as a established successfully business .
A good inspector can instantly be making a reasonable return .
Work with the owner for a reasonable time (90) days ~) to meet many agents .
Worked for us . Selling price is confidential but was adequate .

I agree keep it completely clear of your personal assets .
Many years ago my accountant told me buy another car I don’t care how old it is just make sure it is clean drivable and insured .
This will be a lot easier over the years for the tax dept. knowing you have a business car and a personal car . Worked for us for about 40 years.

I agree, if you’re claiming your home office as a deduction make sure it’s a separate structure with a separate outside entrance.

Pigs get feed…Hogs get butchered.

It just needs to be a room dedicated solely for the purpose of the home office.

The separate structure and outside entrance is not always feasible.

I’ve taken the home office deduction every year and haven’t been audited yet, but, like Frank, if they audit me I have everything I need to back my deductions up.

David, don’t forget about retirement. Depending on your company structure you can make a contribution at the end of the year to lower your tax liability.

The home office is a great idea, my accountant has it set up where my company pays me 500/month for rent.

Is the $6k in business write off worth the $6k in non-taxed, personal income you have to declare? That becomes another business in and of itself.

Yes it is because its not taxed the same, no payroll tax. My company is structured as a C Corp and I receive a weekly paycheck

We considered something similar but decided it wasn’t worth the small deduction when we considered the taxes we would have to “pay back” when we sold our home had we been using a portion or percentage as a business deduction all along.

Exactly…
:slight_smile: