Ridge Shingle Installation

The ridge caught my eye as soon as I got up on the roof surface. They seemed to be sticking up, and prone to catching wind. Further inspection revealed a second stub of shingle between each full shingle on the ridge, which accounts for the “sticking up,” and nothing to get the shingles to adhere to one another.

Anyone seen anything like this previously, and/or have a different take?

Thanks in advanceIMG_1455 IMG_1457 IMG_1456

Those are multi-layer dimensional cap shingles, however, the nails you exposed don’t belong there. One is not supposed to separate the top layer from the bottom to nail it. The nails go over the very top shorter layer (hope that makes sense). Only one end gets nailed, the other is bonded after the roofing tar softens and adheres to the shingle below it. BTW, they are meant to “stick up”, that’s what makes them dimensional vs flat. That is normal, not an issue given they are installed correctly.

2 Likes

Yep! Here is a link to Owenscorning. The installation instructions are a great resource.Rizeridge
I installed these on my house this past Tuesday. Super easy. Glad to be done with my roof!

1 Like

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Based on Simon’s observations and Brandon’s link - thank you both, it appears that the roofer (may have) deviated from the manufacturer’s installation. Regardless of the specific manufacturer, the ridge shingles are not bonded to each other as they should be, leaving them exposed to wind damage, and the nails exposed to wind driven rain, which could lead to moisture intrusion. At a minimum, we recommend the ridge shingles be bonded to one another with roof cement, and the nail heads also covered with roof cement. Further evaluation of the ridge shingle installation by a qualified roofer may be desirable.

Are you absolutely certain there was no roofing tar anywhere “under” the cap shingle that you lifted, it’s usually a very small amount? Did you lift several random caps and check underneath? These cap shingles come in several forms. I hope you didn’t snap a pic of a spot where the roofer just did something unique. The roof looks fresh, the roofing tar may not have had a chance to adhere. BTW, the nails are normally not covered with roofing tar under each cap as they get protection from the shingle above.