Romex question

“needs repair”.

Because it does not perform? (its working fine)
Because it poses an immediate safety risk? (its been there for 20 years)
Because it does not meet code? (are we inspecting to code?)
Because if you write it up you’ll avoid a complaint? :wink:

I believe inspectors do not have a problem writing up that which they recognize. The problem lies in the hundreds of other items the inspector might not be recognizing. The industry continues to migrate to comparing homes to code.

In an existing installation I would just look at the support points and clamps for stress wear on the cable and the general condition of the insulation/jacket. If this is up out of the way and does not look abused I wouldn’t get too excited about it. Running Romex to a water heater is about the same thing.

lol…we ( NEC Guys ) are simply telling you what the NEC says as it pertains to law…not how you should report it. We are also giving you our opinions on the severity of the condition and aids in why problems exist between the two industries…

I can think of worse things to report about than suggesting someone support the NMC up to at least the pipe to get it out of the way…better to be out of the way and safer…

So we told you HOW it should be…how it can be fixed…and how we ( the NEC guys who deal with it everyday ) are not overly concerned about it in existing installations…

"Screw the NEC "…not likely as I am not into paper cuts…thanks anyway.