Roof and attic, thoughts and help, thank you

It’s 2~ sq" for the center vent (shown in OP’s pic)… 6~sq" is for full perforated 4"x3=12" wide profile soffit.

You do have a point, however, most HI will not do any maths or take this into account, easily overlooked and quickly deferred to the SOP because we’re not engineers! :expressionless:

Yes, Thank you for the correction. I corrected my post.

No the bathrooms are on the other half of the ridge and are vented properly, and I do know that soffit is actually open and not just slapped over top of old painted plywood soffits

There are no gable vents, what concerns me is that the shingles never dry out over that section of the roof and I was wondering if they are so saturated that it’s seeping through possibly underlayment and soaking into the roof sheathing, but the roof sheathing still felt pretty solid, A screwdriver would not stab into it but maybe the depth of a dime, That is Also why it was making me think the dampness could be coming from inside the attic and maybe needed the airflow. The damp framing in the attic was directly under the part of the asphalt shingles that seems to never dry up and is growing moss

I don’t have an educated answer or explanation for that occurring. There might be some ventilation issues, but that would not explain roof shingles to never dry out.
I have heard of moisture trapped under the shingles that don’t dry out, but never heard of shingles to never dry out even after a rain.
Maybe a roofing manufacturer could shed some light on something like that. I can’t see a roofing contractor to help you much on that, but there is nothing to lose I guess. They can guess as well as us. LOL
Make a recommendation for further evaluation by a general contractor and they might have a resource to someone that knows the cause, at least you would be out of it.
Report whatever else you see and call it good.

No ridge vents either, Greg. Any air that gets in has to be able to wash the old air and moisture out somehow.

There are three vents on the back side of the roof in the first picture, but I don’t think it is enough and might contribute to the problem.
Hard to tell.

I missed those but I agree with you on not enough ventilation.

There is the 4 roof vents cut in up near the ridge, the shingles hardly catch any sun on on that back part of the roof and catch shade from the neighbors tree

Greg, it is hard for anyone to guess what is going on by just looking at pictures.
Sometimes you have to be on site to look at all the things that are going on.
I don’t know what climate zone you are in, but you have things like morning dew on the roof and that portion of it was not dry when you went, but looking at the trees, there are no leaves to block the sun and looks cloudy.
You have temperature swings that are variable.
You have the ventilation.
You have excessive moisture in the attic
It could have rained and the sun only dried up that section before it turned cloudy.
There are way too many variables as to the causes that you are better off to just note what you see and let someone figure it out on site.
JMHO

1 Like

Greg, It looks like a few different issues are at work. I know you want to give your client some suggestions but it is best to recommend further evaluation by a GC. Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished! It looks like you are doing a good job at finding defects. I would not hesitate to recommend you.

JMHO, for those that don’t know, means “Just My Humble Opinion”.

Well, with Marcel Cyr’s experience and knowledge it is an excellent opinion.

Listen to hin, Greg. Sometimes, dare I say most of the time, one cannot decifer the defect(s) from pictures…they have to be on site.

I hope many learn from Marcel’s commentary. :smile:

1 Like

You are right it did lightly rain the night before and my inspection was at noon, but by the time the sun would have made it back around to that side of the house I would say it would be about 4-5 o’clock and then the summer time their neighbors tree would be full of leaves blocking the longer day sun. That is just an educated guess, I don’t live there so I don’t really know how the weather affects the house but I am just making those assumptions because that is the only spot on the roof that has moss growing on the shingles. This is just me thinking on the situation, none of these thoughts will be in report or mentioned to client. Northern Ohio weather

Algae and moss tend to build up on the Northside of my roof also, and stays wet almost all day this time of year with no sun or partial sun.
Obviously, since that area is under tree shadows, that would make sense.
I don’t like to assume anything, and you might be overthinking this whole thing.
Without the exact facts to prove a cause, it becomes an assumption. :wink:

1 Like

I gained a lot from this feed. Thank you all for the constructive dialogue!!

1 Like

After reading about Greg’s possible claim against him, I was wondering what kind of limitations all of you CMIs and CPIs have set up in your agreements? In terms of how far back in time can a client make a claim on something you might have missed.

This was at an actual inspection and I was looking for help on ideas of reporting the issues, this was not a claim against me, but good question

Correct Greg. Sorry. I was reading too many of these today and was on the wrong section when I replied and will go back to that one. Yes this has been a question I have been meaning to bring to light.

1 Like

It probably varies by state, but realistically I doubt there’s a limit. However, the more time has passed, the greater the chance that the claim would be denied.

1 Like

Morning, Greg.
Hope this post finds you well and in good spirits today.

After going through several of your posts and members replies, without offence to you and the members, I wish to state. I am surprised by all the posts and your replies.

Your fiduciary obligations, to which are broad: Your duty of loyalty, separate yourself from recommendations. In other words avoid conflicts of interest.
Your duty of care. Report what you know. Referring to professionals.

Building sciences. Simple as that.

Observation.
HIP Roof.
Roof covering. Composition shingles.
Symptom. Localized Wet, Damp shingles.
Inadequate roof deck venting.
Poor attic circulation.
Blocked eave vents. Blown in cellulose insulation over eaves.
No insulation eave dams.
Suspect: Microbial growth on sheathing. Microbial growth on rafters.
High humidity.

Recommend: A licensed IAC2 contractor, an indoor air quality contractor, to perform a microbial survey in the attic.
Recommend: A licensed roofing contractor install adequate roof deck vents.
Recommend: A licensed insulation contractor improve eave venting.
Act upon any recommendations therein for all above.

1 Like