Roof Condition

Greetings,

Need assistance in describing roof condition. Approx age of home 11 years.

1. Roof01, west facing, rear of home
  2. Roof02, south facing, front of home
  3. Valley, west facing, rear of home
  4. Plywood, roof sheathing on northside
    Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I don’t want to bias the comments, I’ll provide more details after a few comments.

Thanks!

Roof deterioration observed at several locations particularly valleys. In addition, water staining of underside of roof deck was observed from the attic. Recommend qualified roofing contractor replace as needed.

Looks like premature wear and tear on those shingles in pictures one and three - might possibly be a manufacturers defect - but definetly need replacing. Here in Florida, if 25% of the roof is damaged, it is supposed to be replaced - dont know if that applies north of the border.

Cant tell from the picture, but #2 does not show any defects.

Picture #4 shows moisuter in the attic. How is the ventilation? Are all the vent pipes (bathrooms and dryer) piped throught the roof properly?

There is damage in #2 below the gutter in the shadow.

roof appears to be at end of useful service …recommend contacting qualified roofing contractor for replacement options…jmo…jim

Roof appears to be in the stages of decline with damaged shingles exposed nails at the penetration boots and moisture staining to the roof sheathing in the attic. Recommend a licensed roofing contractor further evaluate and repair/replace as necessary.

Thank you to everyone for their replies.

My observations where the same, shingle deterioration, granule errosion, cupping, curling, valley detioration and water stains.

The home is approximately, 11 years, but not verified. Most likely the shingles might be a contractor’s grade 15 year shingle, but unknown.

Regarding the water stains on the roof sheathing, a gap exists where there is an intersection between an upper gable end overlapping the ridge of a lower hip roof, picture roof03 shows outer profile, (moss growth due to constant shade, north facing).

roof04 shows gap between sheathing and rafter, daylight visible when attic is in darkness.

The home owner is disputing my observation and is claiming financial loss on the sale of the home, due to my statement regarding the condition of the roof.

This is not an amusing situation.

Any more thoughts?

What was your statement regarding the condition of the roof?

No, it is not. :frowning:

well sorry about His miserable luck , but His roof is toast and needs replaced…guess no one really wants to hear that but it is what it is…jmho…jim

The home owner is disputing my observation and is claiming financial loss on the sale of the home, due to my statement regarding the condition of the roof.

Any more thoughts?
[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry too much about the home owner. You reported the condition to your client. Its up to your client to make the decision to proceed with the sale or not.

I really don’t think there is a lawyer in the world that would attempt to go after you, given the documentation you presented.

Cheers

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but IMO you have a LOT more exposure if you “under-report” a problem to a client than if you tick off a seller by “over-reporting” a problem to the same client. (Even assuming you did so in this case - pretty hard given the condition of that roof).

Your pictures does not go along with your estimate age of the roof. Looking at the valley one must assess that the life of the roof is pretty much gone. Something is not right with this roof covering (valley area) . The age can not be 11 years-X. This type of shingles suggest that this is a 20 year old roof, so 11 years (age) appears not correct. However, is the correct estimate age is 15 to 20 years then the case of end of life expectancy should apply. We will need more info in order to ascertain the condition of this roof. How old is this house?
</IMG>

HOMEINSPECTORUSA

I don’t feel you were wrong in your observation, but the wording may be a little off.
The damage is due to ice damming and/or homeowner chipping the ice out without hiring a professional. The shingles are at the end of their life. It may be a 20 year shingle or a 30 year, it doesn’t matter. That roof may have experienced 4 years worth of weather in just one winter. If the damage was on the south side, I would say it is a manufacturers defect. This is all due to ice and snow. The shingles should be replaced. Any qualified roofer would tell you that, along with it is not a great install the way the valleys are done. Just my opinion on the craftsmanship.

I see more-vents at the overhang area of the one photo. Are there roof vents higher in the roof towards the ridge area?

I see the dark patches in the wood indicative of moisture issues on the underside of the plywood roof sheathing. (Without the use of thermal imaging equipment)

As noted earlier there seems to be a disconnect between the newer looking areas and the photo of the valley in extremely poor condition. Is it possible we are looking at roof shingles of different installation dates. Generally the southern portion of a roof will wear/deteriorate faster than the north side.

These two pictures do not go along with each other. -X
The scenario does not make any sense, unless these are two different roof covering in this house. We can not give you any assistance -X with the limited information you have posted other than have the roof bulldozed out (second photo)
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23456&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1219169048 http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23457&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1219169058](“http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23457&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1219169058")]("http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23456&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1219169048”)

What does “claiming financial loss” mean?

• Did he call you to say he was going to sue you?
  • Has he actually filed a suit?
  • Did he call bit<hin’ and moanin’ about your client backing out?

These are three similar, but subtly different scenarios which would require different actions.

You may want to give your lawyer a call for sound advice in any of the above scenarios.

Not amusing at all.

Aurelio,

I would not be to concerned about what the seller says. It is what it is, your findings are acurate. The shingles are beyond their useful life and show very heavy wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroncone
*The home owner is disputing my observation and is claiming financial loss on the sale of the home, due to my statement regarding the condition of the roof.

Any more thoughts?*
The owner can “claim” anything he wants, but a well worded letter from your attorney will disabuse him of any notions of seeking redress.
Something like this happened to me 2 years ago. The deal fell through, the owner threatened to sue. Like you, I had the photo’s to support my conclusions, which were based on extensive experience in the trades. I had an attorney send a letter explaining my observations and conclusions…never heard another word.
Cost of the letter from Lawyer: $ 125.00
Cost of avoiding lawsuit… Priceless.

That is very good advice and give yourself a greenie. :mrgreen:

I’d like to read the lawyer’s letter. :stuck_out_tongue:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

What more information would be needed? The roof is in bad shape. When it looks like that, I wouldn’t even bother with the age and just recommend repair by a qualified roofer.