Roof Discoloring

Originally Posted By: mpatton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am looking for an explanation of why a roof will streak with discoloration.

Example: A home that is sitting out in the open away from any mature trees typically with a very light colored roof. The roof many times only on one side will have dark streaks starting anywhere between the ridge and the eve, continuing to the eve.

Often a home with similar circumstances and age of roof next to it does not have the same streaking.

I have heard different reasons for this any one want to give their opinion "cause and effect theory"

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Mike,

Go to www.roofclean.com and read all you ever wanted and then some about roof fungus and how it developes and what to do about it. They can tell you a lot better than I can. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

Here is a good bulletin covering this topic, http://www.casma.ca/cas_tech13.shtml

Originally Posted By: rrushing

This condition (as you described it) is called “tobacco-juicing”. It resembles the spillage of a spittoon on the roof covering.

The tobacco juicing is caused by inadequate venilation in the attic. You'll usually find this condition present on homes that are 20+ years old and built with inadequate, improperly placed or other ventilation that has either been obstructed or blocked off.

It doesen't necessarily mean the composition shingle is bad, but the symptoms indicate a condition that can cause other issues, which may be present. Worth investigating

Richard

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Richard,

Your description is most like what I am describing, your answer is the same as I had understood the cause to be, inadequate ventilation.

The other sites pertaining to a fungus, I belive is where much more of the roof is effected.

Thanks for everyone's input.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net