Roof Geometry: wind

Home has a enclosed 220 sq room on rear. flat roof over top. Rest of home is a hip roof. The main roof laps over flat… so should be attached back at wall. 1300 sq ft living area Thanks for the help!

Living space open to the rest of the house with protection on ouside of flat roof area should be considered in roof geo. Call me if you want and I will give more detail

I agree----not considered a “porch or carport”.

agreed, living space should be included in roof geometry

So is it all of your opinions that the home in the photos get a flat roof designation?

Sad but true.

Yes, if area is over 10% or 100 sq ft, whichever is greater, house gets a flat roof rating if flat roof is over enclosed living space.

Roof is attached below the level of the main roof, according to inspection depot it would not be considered part of the main roof. Any roof which is not structurally attached to the main roof should not be considered…

Sean,

Can you please quote and print where Inspection Depot makes that statement. If it is enclosed living area, it is to be included. I would like to see where they have this exclusion.

Curious…

What is Florida’s definition of a “flat roof” **vs **“low slope roof”?

Does it make a difference?

To me, that’s looks “low slope” and not a “flat” roof.

Flat roof

Low slope

Depends who you ask, a “flat” roof can be anything up to a 2/12 slope.

I agree with the 2/12 or less (<10 degrees) being considered a flat roof. What would you consider the pictured roof to be?

And does it make a difference in FL. in regards to wind mits?

Just trying to understand.

Thanks.

sec: 13.8.7
“Any roof that is not structurally attached to the main roof system is not factored into the roof geometry calculations.”

Although it doesn’t say it in the book, they said it does not matter if it is living space or not. If it steps down from the main roof do not include it.

Construction definitions are not the same as insurance definitions. It makes a difference on insurance premiums.

Some define flat as 2/12 and others 1/12.

They further define it as structurally attached or not. Attached to a wall and not to the whole roof system is not used in the determination.

A little old but here is some info http://honorconstruction.com/blog1/

The NACHI wind mitigation course sample calculations seem to imply that the perimeter of a flat/low-slope porch roof, not attached to the main roof structure and without living space under it, IS factored into calculating whether to give the home a hip roof designation or not. Then, if the home does not qualify for the hip roof designation, the non-attached porch roof IS NOT used to calculate whether to downgrade it to a flat roof designation. Is that correct?

Richard please update you info so we know a little about your area and such :slight_smile:

Have you guys ever considered going to to your local property appraisals web site. If the covered patio (flat deck) is considered as living space it will be considered a such on the tax roll. If not it would be considered a porch, patio, carport. This particular structure does not appear from the supplied photographs to be structurally attached to the main roof

Not always. They just starting checking to see if those items matched in my neighborhood a year ago.

Can someone tell me how it is that Inspection Depot is authorized to alter the description actually printed on the form?

(Porches and carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of the host structure and not structurally connected to the main roof system are not considered in the roof geometry determination)