Roof Inspections

They don’t have Tar & Gravel Roof coverings here, thing of the past, all have failed, they found out the sun cooking the rocks doesn’t pan out.

You have to deal with Parking too…I couldn’t imagine carrying a 24–40 foot ladder to a Row House (another thing we don’t have), but you know the gig.

Its dangerous just setting a extension ladder up by yourself, and then when there is ice involved…NO THANKS…!

Great you found a safe way to inspect them…keep up the good work, most people haven’t thought of that.

Stay safe my friend…!!

Happy Holidays to you too…!!!

Duffy

So you push the start button before you raise the pole?

I have a 35-foot telescoping mast with a remote control head set up for videoing roofs that shouldn’t be walked, but although I can tilt and pan the camera via the mounting head, I have no controls for the actual camera itself. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow or Wednesday (traveled all day today).

There’s a big difference in underlayment quality too. There’s lots of it out there that’s not ASTM compliant and the lifespan can vary quite a bit according to the degree to which it’s saturated and the quality of the asphalt with which it’s saturated. You usually can’t tell the quality of the underlayment by looking.

When I do walk on tile I use a 1/2 sheet of 4 by 8 ply with 1/2 inch Styrofoam glued to the rough surface, Its cut into 2 so you have 4/4 pieces. It acts as a cushion.
I advance one piece in-front of the other and voila " bobs your uncle ) you can get up close and personal with that area on the roof you can not see with binoculars but suspect it problematic and worthy of pictures and explanation. Yes I am a roofer and only do it when I see its necessary.
I was a designated a trouble shooter with most company’s I worked with and developed my-own methods.

Mark
I am asking this because I own a facade restoration company and have had several agents and HI’s ask the owner or themselves ask me to do an estimate because the buyer is interested in buying the home and I would be getting the job when they purchase the home.
RIGHT HA HA HA HA HA HA.
They never left me there names when I asked them to explain several simple question so I could read them and weed the freebies out.
One month of gas on average when it hit 6 gallon in Canada. $2500.00 dollars, plus hours on the road.
Just would like to point out my thoughts.
1; Are you not skilled enough to do this?
2; Not that much different than any other roof. Just a different material but the systems mechanics are the same. Its like a slate roof sort of.Make it water tight.
3; When the roofers come they know it a inspection for free?
4; Are you being truthful in your explain ation to the roofer. Transparent and forthcoming. Meaning he knows he is helping you FOR FREE!!!
Please I am not being judgmental, I am hopefully making you think of the expense of running that business and if he asks you for a free-bee I hope you facilitate.

I applaud you Russel. I will point out several points of safety.
If you are a rounded roofer, you would know them. Meaning you have done , slate, standing seam,copper tin galv, cement and ceramic tile, shake, etc.
1: Decking when spongy, walk on rafters only if posable.
2: Tie down your ladder to the roof or anything.
3:5 point harness Russell.
4:Running shoes and curling shoes in the winter of below freezing conditions.
5: Winds can catch you off guard when taking your pics so be well planted and stable.
6;Always have a plan in action when all hell breaks lose.
Meaning first thing I do when approaching the roof. Before I go up the ladder and as I am on the roof.
I have observed what I might fall on and try to stay away from that area.
If I slip how do I control my every move after.
Spread out like a snow angle ( spread eagle ), anything in close proximity to grab as you slip.
I plan every destination and route to get to that point of interest to snap photos when prepared.
So Russell please be safe and also protect your self from liability when you walk on that roof.
Have them sign a waver. OK
God bless mate.:slight_smile:

Just an idea BOB, but it could be a simple invention to put on the market place.
Canadian tire, wall mart, eyc.
I think you should patent it. No joke.
Take a picture of it, and describe it as best as you can down to the last detail.
Mail it to yourself ( certified ) do not open it and you have your patent started.
Tweak it after and then take the time to do a North American then world patent.
I would love to see it, but want you to think first and also think how you can improve it.
No joke BOB. You are a clever man, excellent with verbal skills and a talent for invention.
All that is needed to be a entrepreneurial based starter millionaire. ( If you are not already ) Just implying BOB.
Think about it.!!!