Roof jack with vent cap for plumbing vent pipes

Inspected a house today with a 3 year old laminated asphalt shingle roof. Each of the plumbing PVC vent pipes terminated into a roof jack with vent cap flashing assembly. Oddly enough, I have never seen this type of flashing used for plumbing vent pipes before. I cant think of any problem with using this type of flashing other than the possibility of the pipe extending too far into the roof jack but each pipe appeared to have sufficient clearance from the underside of the vent. Just wanted make sure I was not missing anything.

This is one of those times when knowing the area you operate in would REALLY help!!

Houston, Texas.

Paper wasp heaven

So, snow and ice buildup isn’t an issue.

I don’t see a roof jack in that picture, and I would be concerned if I did.

I think you meant to write “vent pipe flashing”, or the sometimes-used slang “jack boot”, which goes on the roof.
But a “roof jack” is something different entirely than what you appear to be concerned about.
Please check your terms so we know what you are really asking.

3 Likes

It’s a painted Master Flow roof [vent] jack:

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-products/residential-roofing-products/ductwork/rooftop-venting/master-flow-roof-jacks-with-vent-cap-28-gauge

1 Like

Thank You Simon, I learned from you today.

1 Like

That would be the same as calling your inspection vehicle a “car automobile” The two refer to the same thing when it comes to plumbing/vent roof flashing :slight_smile:

PS: go easy on Justin, we don’t want to scare him :grin:

1 Like

I agree. I don’t use that term but some do.

Bert,
As you eluded, terminology for a particular item can vary. If you are confused about a term, maybe you should ask for clarification instead of trying to school me. I think the information and pictures I provided are pretty self explanatory for you to know what I am asking.

1 Like

You got me. Sorry, Bud.

1 Like

Shrimp Scamp :wink:

Don’t get caught up in slag or Manufacturers trademarks for components, please.
This would be a bit of how I report on/for sloped roofs.

Observation: Sloped roof. Roof was mounted.
Roof covering: Composition/Architectural Shingles.
Flashing: Plumbing vent flashing. No apparent visual inauspicious conditions.
Recommend: A licensed roofing contractor service the roof prior the onset of winter. Typical/usual maintenance item.
Limitations: Inspection performed: Roof was mounted. Age determined: Real Estate listings.

Hope that helps!

Nor do I. Ever!
Must be another stoopid plumber thing!! :wink:

Just because Home Depot lists it as a “Roof Jack” doesn’t mean it is the correct term.

Roof jacks* provide a stable surface to work, increasing safety and making it easier to apply roofing . Ideally, locate a rafter below the sheathing. (You can usually feel sheathing nails, which are driven into rafters through the underlayment.) Attach a jack by driving two 16d nails (never roofing nails) into a rafter.

1 Like

Actually, the manufacturer lists it as such. You should write to GAF :slight_smile: Depending on the region either jack or a boot is appropriate and refer to the same thing when applied in a context. Next thing you will claim that a nipple is also a home depot made up term and not a plumber :smiley: How about a test cock :laughing:

Simon, I appreciate you posting factual info. I was tempted to give a smart ass response to the above. It surprises me that some on this board are so quick to tell someone they are wrong. You would think they would verify what they know to be true before spouting it off as fact. Especially with being an inspector- verify your info. I guess if anything, it shows who we can depend on to give credible information. Thanks for being one of those guys.

A manufacturer can make up or use an incorrect name to differentiate from other products in their line. I spent 37 years as director of a group of aerospace engineers. We made up names all the time just to make it easier for us.
Regardless, it is not the correct term and can lead to confusion, especially in the report. Call it a Roof vent.

4 Likes

You mean, like… ROMEX, or the lazy inspectors favorite… FOOTER??

3 Likes