Roof near life expectancy

Originally Posted By: wwarner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How do some of you report on a roof that is nearing it’s useful life, but appears serviceable at the inspection? Do you flag as a major/costly defect or just tell the client to monitor?

I know verbally I tell them to budget for a roof in the future. I am just wondering what would be a better way of putting this in the report. The potential for a major expense is there, but time frame could be 3 to 5 years.

--
Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!

Originally Posted By: ekartal

The roof appears to approaching the end of its serviceable life, and has decomposed areas that could leak. It should be evaluated by a licensed roofing contractor before the close of escrow, because the cost of replacing it may effect your evaluation of the property.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I describe the roof condition and add “These conditions indicate that the roof covering is nearing the end of it’s useful life. Random failures may occur at any time. Anticipate replacement of the roof covering in the near future”.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

How do some of you report on a roof that is nearing it’s useful life

Depends on HOW near the end of its useful life.

To me, if it is near enough to the end of its useful life for me to think about it, I still write up everything I see wrong with it, then state something to the effect that there is absolutely no reason to put any money on the roof as that would just be throwing good money on a bad roof. That there is no economical reason or practical reason to spend money repairing this roof, that the roofs should just be replaced, after all, it has lived its expected useful life already and everyone should treat it with the respect it deserves and not allow it to embarrass itself by failing and leaking all over, ruining the ceiling and who knows what else. And that this is especially true regarding all that new remodeling work your are talking about doing. Just replace the roof first, so you will not have to do the work twice.

A roof is (at least down here with tile roofs) the single largest and most expensive replacement item for a house, and I do not treat them lightly or with kid gloves. If it needs to be buried, bury it and lay flowers at its resting place.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thank you!

I knew there was a better way to put it. I just couldn't put the words together. I combined a little of all three Erol, Blaine, and Jerry.

Here's what I came up with:

"Roof covering appears to be approaching or at the end of its serviceable life. These conditions indicate that random failures may occur at any time. When this occurs, the potential for damage to interior surfaces and structures is great. Anticipate replacement of the roof covering in the near future. Although not practical or economical, patching the roof covering may temporarily extend it's service.

Recommend qualified roofing contractor evaluate and replace."

p.s.
I like the humor Jerry puts to such a serious and expensive defect! It kind of takes the edge off. I did'nt know you had a lighter side! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Thanks again!

--
Bill

Bill,

We get old and embarrassed when we pee all over ourselves, why put a roof through that? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Agreed Jerry!

Give me dignity or give me.... a roof (or diaper)! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Bill

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I base mine on a 5 year plan. Low probability, med, high…pretty simple. It’s also in my report that way.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dvalley

A five year plan??? Please, gimme a break

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jmertins

wwarner wrote:
Thank you!

I knew there was a better way to put it. I just couldn't put the words together. I combined a little of all three Erol, Blaine, and Jerry.

Here's what I came up with:

"Roof covering appears to be approaching or at the end of its serviceable life. These conditions indicate that random failures may occur at any time. When this occurs, the potential for damage to interior surfaces and structures is great. Anticipate replacement of the roof covering in the near future. Although not practical or economical, patching the roof covering may temporarily extend it's service.

Recommend qualified roofing contractor evaluate and replace."

p.s.
I like the humor Jerry puts to such a serious and expensive defect! It kind of takes the edge off. I did'nt know you had a lighter side! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Just food for thought. I would be careful when you say “recommend roofing company evaluate an replace”… you are suggesting an evaluation but recommending a replace…let the roofer recommend the replace since you did defer to him to evaluate…do you follow me? just trying to help you from really ticking off a realtor who might misconstrue your words and may not refer you down the road.

John

--
John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: cmccann

never mind…deleted, I won’t stoop to the level of that guy.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: tallen

That’s not fair . Now I have to delete as well icon_lol.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: ekartal

ekartal wrote:
The roof appears to approaching the end of its serviceable life, and has decomposed areas that could leak. It should be evaluated by a licensed roofing contractor before the close of escrow, because the cost of replacing it may effect your evaluation of the property.

Now that I think about it, we call for a roofing contractor based on our evaluation.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: tallen

Gone

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Guest

I write “the roof needs to be replaced.”

Chad Fabry wrote:
I write "the roof needs to be replaced."

Same here, and sometimes I write "The roof needed replacement 10 years ago, AND IT STILL needs to be replaced."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida