Roof OK?

If you look at one of the pictures, the ran another piece of tar-paper on top of the area they had fixed.

My recommendation was to either removed everything and start over, or, cut out larger areas and then patch those with tar-paper that is cut flush with the existing paper. Then, seal the joints.

A peel and stick membrane is going on top of this so if they get everything flat, the peel and stick should take care of the rest.

A note to others, I have heard many people say that those nails won’t back out. I grabbed one from underneath and just wiggled it a little and it popped right up.
I would also make sure that when you see the nails that missed the truss, you write it in your report. Fortunately for this roofer, this was in the early stages. Imagine what would have happened if the roof was finished.

The homeowner is an attorney so I am pretty sure that the roofer is going to pay for the damage to the ceiling where the leak and rotted wood are in one of the other pictures.

F…that…Start over…fire the f…kers…get new roofers…make the old roofer pay…the american way.

If you can’t find the time to it right the first time…how the hell are going to find the time to do it right the second time.

Just saying…

After they pushed out the old nails they renailed everything…using a hammer…no air nailer! They are learning.:mrgreen:

I am assuming you inspected every rafter and those are the only areas that need renailing.

No, the roofers helpers were in the attic and popped up all the nails and removed them. They finished the back half of the roof and now are doing the front half. I checked the back half and they got every nail.
Apparently the roofer told the workers to use a hammer and not to miss again.

The homeowner is going to go and check after they are done, but, the Roofer sent a letter to the homeowner stating he would take care of everything and was sorry for the sloppy work.

Hopefully, these workers have learned their lesson!

I wonder how many roofs these guys did before they were caught. How many homowners are going to get fu—ed when the reinspectors discover their fbc compliant roof ain’t so compliant. Of course that is if they check the attic and not just the appraiser site for a permit.

Please correct me if i am wrong…isn’t the swr suppose to go on before the felt.

If you were to use the peel and stick, from what I am told, you would end up tearing off all the decking because once that stuff is stuck, it’s stuck. It was what I was told.

There are plenty of roofs, especially after Wilma, that were done that way. I have a bunch on my web site and all but one got redone.

If you want insurance discounts the peel and stick MUST adhere to the plywood directly.

Eric,
Was there any concern about the integrity of the roof decking edge with that many misses and then re-nailing ?

It would defeat the purpose of the “peel and stick” to put it on top of felt paper.

Since this is a tile roof, it appears they are going to use the peel and stick in the valleys and crickets, then hot mop 90 lb over it. The next step is to do a foam-down tile roof.

There shouldn’t be much of a problem with integrity of the roof members as they are nailing in a different spot and the original nails are still in place.

And, I was reading that you can apply it over tar paper if you weave it in between the layers.

The trouble with seeing a bunch of shiners like that is that sometimes they realize that they missed and they go back and re-nail but don’t pull the shiners. You can’t say it’s not nailed because it might be. Sometimes you can push up on the sheathing and if it’s not nailed you’ll see a gap.

Doesn’t matter, at least to the code official in this case. He demanded that every nail that was missed be removed, as it should be.

Evidently, a youtube video isn’t superceded by the manufacturer:

Polyglass

You get to look up ASTM D226. :slight_smile:

Would one of you guys going to the oir meeting please explain this there to help all understand that we cannot always photograph a 8d
Nail and it is dangerous trying to find something that should not exist.

The YouTube video was put out by the manufacturer “Grace”.

Your link says Polystick membranes shall not be adhered directly over a pre-existing roof membrane as a recover system. Look under “General Limitations”, #5 of your link.

At any rate, up here, it would not be acceptable to apply “peel and stick” over felt paper.

We use “Grace” Ice and water shield up here, typically. And they say “Install Grace underlayments directly on a clean, dry, continuous structural deck”…it adheres to the wood and doesn’t blow away. http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/custom/underlayments/downloads/UL-061C.pdf

Exactly, ALWAYS on the Plywood-OSB, in AZ…!

Question, was that vent photographed an exhaust fan or dryer line?
Also did the roofers get a permit for the roof?

Yes it was permitted, hence all the problems with the inspector.

Vent fan.

Here it is, in fact it is a requirement, which I knew. I was just giving others some rope…

There are several roofs in my neighborhood that have had this applied over the tar paper. I know they were permitted as I spoke with the local building official.

If the credit is only given for deck attachment of the underlayment, then this is yet another example of another error with the form.

Why don’t they just ****can the whole wind mitigation credit?