Roof question

Judging from the pictures, it does not appear to be well ventilated.

The quick answer to all of the above is “maybe”. That doesn’t help much, but Mark has some great points.

It’ll go a long way (no pun intended) toward good will if you go and look at it again. Did they ask you to go back? Not that it matters, but certainly if they have you must go - if they haven’t it’s another “plus” for you in their eyes (or should be :wink: ).

I’m sure by seeing the whole picture it will answer some questions. It could be the shingles buckling, result of the storms, problem with the decking or others. Knowing that will make it easier to know the next course of action on your part.

Keep us posted!
</IMG>

If it is a visual inspection with no defects seen visualy, it is not your fault.
The eyes have it, or in this case the camera.

Next time bring a magic 8 ball.

Mark gave good advice here.

I would schedule the return wanting my client there.

I would state, in writing, as a follow up to my client’s concern of a roof sheathing bulge he noticed that was not present on the day of inspection I returned to the home to further investigate. And then describe your findings.

Worth repeating!

Will do!
Thanks all,
Randy

The sheathing in the picture the customer took looks wavy to me. Although your pictures look fine.
My guess is the same thing No H Clips. and it apears that they might have used the wrong sheathing for the span of the trusses. The sheating looks like it is sagging between the trusses or rafters.

I would deffinetly drive the 2 hours to check it out.

Regarless of what it is, that area will need to be opened up by a licnesed roofer and repaired. Why not just defer it and keep in contact with the roofer to see what the problem is.

Going back out will probably not do you any good, as you can only state what you see. If you go, you may be going gratis, as you will have to defer to a roofer. Just feel fortunate that this happened before they closed and not after.

Who will pay for the roofer?

It will do good to go because the condition of the roof has obviously changed, in addition to the customer service and good will it creates with the client.

There may not be immediate financial benefit from going, but it could be a huge $$ saver in the long run. Also people tend to remember and tell their friends when someone goes above and beyond for them.
I may add that it’s the right thing to do, IMO.

A roofer will probably have to fix something, but again who pays the roofer?

my .02
Rick

Richard,

The point is - the roof is now damaged. It is not up to me to say who pays for the roofer, but a roofer is going to be needed to do some repair. It it is before closing, chances are the buyer can get a credit to cover the costs.

Going back will only create good custormer service. From the original post, it did not sound like he wanted to go back. I agree that going back may be the right thing to do, but once again, the origial post leaned away from that.

Maybe I am wrong but the condition did not exist at the time of inspection as you can see from my photos. However, I did not report no H-Clips for which I feel may have assisted at best. I rarely see h clips, maybe 1 in 10 I inspect. I believe the two huge storms may have attributed to it as in blocking some of the soffit vents or at least changing the dynamics with in the attic itself. Never the less, I have not been there yet and when I go next week I will have camera in hand. There is no doubt I will have to defer it. My dilemma is, should I pay for it as a good gesture? My thoughts are its not my fault and I have photos to show what the condition was. Two, if I pay for it then it may become more if something else happens (although it shouldn’t). Heck, something tells me just to defer it and not go at all because what the heck can I do about it. Don’t get me wrong though, I do intend to take the trip. Any more thought as they are appreciated.
Thanks

I may have missed it in this thread, but would the roof’s current condition be an insurance issue for the home owner?

If I was the home owner and the damage wasn’t there when the HI inspected and it has since become damaged, I would be calling my insurance agent and have him send out an adjuster.
Let him make the call and determine if it is covered by home owner’s insurance policy. There may be no need to involve the HI at all.

Just my thoughts Randy.

My opinion when I read your original post was the problem that exist now was not there at the time of inspection and you had a picture to prove it. I don’t see how you could have forecast what happened.
If there were no visible signs in the attic that would relate to the present condition or any other problems with the roof I can’t see how you’re at fault. A lot can happen in 24 hrs.

Randy,

I do not see how you can be held responsible. You cannot predict future performance on any item, unless there is a visible defect in the first place. That is like buying a car and the battery dies a week later. The important thing here is that you have pictures on the day of the inspection that show no defect. There is no way you should pay for any repairs to that home. That is a bad trend to start. You might want to condsider meeting (or taking) a roofer with you to the home.

It may be as simple as the wind got under the shingles in this area and lifted 'em up. May not be a big deal at all. Current owner should have it checked and if it’s serious claim it on his homeowners.

Fellas,
Went to the house today to look at the roof. Looked at the attic and saw no uplift of the sheathing. Got on the roof and stepped on the hump and it laid back down. A couple of nails had popped most likely from the very windy storms in the last month. My approach is deferring it to a roofing contractor to fix, send inspection photos, photos from todays look see, and be done with it. What say you?

Forgot the pics!
Roof 5-7-08.pdf (73 KB)

Thanks for the help guys!

I agree have a qualifed roofer re-nail the area reseal the tabs and check the roof for loose tabs while he’s up there.

Good show, Randy, that was worth going back for in Brownie points and peace of mind.

A few added thoughts;
The nails may be too short, they should penetrate 3/4" into or right thru the strapping.
There may be too few nails, should be 4/strip usually.
Nailed too high, should just above the overlap.
The nails may have been driven right thru the shingles, too high setting on their stinkin nail guns. :stuck_out_tongue:
If nail guns were used, the nails will be rusty as well.