Roof Replacement?

Originally Posted By: ladams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Picture%20360.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Picture%20325.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Picture%20326.jpg ]

Just wanted some more Input on this and maybe perhaps what caused the Bubble.

Thanks

Lind

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Hard to tell the overall condition of the shingles. I would refer them to have it repaired or replaced. If the shingles are in ok condition with more than 25% of life left they can probably just replace the sheathing and less than a square of shingles. If you leave it open they can negotiate. Many sellers are likely to refuse a full replacement based on that little area and it may kill the deal even if the roof still has 5 or more years on it.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

To fix the sheathing the shingles will have to come off, some nailing will have to be installed and the roof re applied. I’d tell them it needs a roof and and some related structural work and advise thm to get an estimate for repairs.

All the sheathing should be renailed while the roof is off staples are crap.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Quote:
To fix the sheathing the shingles will have to come off

Only one piece of sheathing needs to be replaced unless there are missing photos. One 4x8 piece would be less than a square of shingles. This is generally a repair not a replace. I am all for giving your clients what they need to negotiate on cost or repairs, but if you lived there it would be a repair. If you get an honest roofer, they will tell you that.

The ones there for money only will say replace.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

that way.

The sheathing appears to be warped so I would recommend replacement.

It looks to me like there used to be some type of equipment on the roof (i.e. A/C condenser unit perhaps). The "bubble" may have been the result of shingles being placed over the lines feeding the appliance (possibly water, electricity and/or coolant lines).

In any event, that portion (at least) of the roof should be replaced along with the warped sheathing that appears to be water damaged.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Is it just me, or do the shingles in the lower right quadrant look wavy, like the felt is wavy?

Looks like two pieces of sheathing need to be replaced, both pieces which meet on that truss look warped up (basing this in the different angles in the two sheathing photos).

I also do not see very many nail or staples. Not for the dry-in felt nor for the shingles. The nails for the shingles and felt should be sticking through the roof sheathing.

From the perspective I am seeing in the photos, with the things I am seeing in the photos (if that is what they are), this roof needs to be replaced.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

If the plywood would have been nailed down instead of just being stapled it would have most likely have stayed in place. If the plywood has not rotted, nailing it in place will probably straighten things out and the shingles can be patched. If the color and wear of the patching will match is another story.

Originally Posted By: ladams

Thank you all for your Input. I really Appreciate it.