Roof shape question

Same as all the manuals, I know of. Including the Nachi class

You need to count them as non-hip

It’s accuracy that counts in Wind Mit’s. It’s the little details that can invalidate your entire inspection.

I agree with those that say they need to be counted. I would how ever just like to point out some of the suggested language for the NEW form, “Are there any gables that are more than 50% of a major wall”. Now in this case it’s easy to see these are not major walls, but where is the line to be drawn? Will a wall have to have a certain number of square ft, or a certain length? If that bay window stuck out 8ft would it count? what about the fact that the side walls are angled to the rest of the structure?

As I said right now we need to count the areas highlighted but what about later?

This should not change much when the new form comes out, because it is quantitative and not based on subjection. We will see when the final version come out

**For all you smart ENGINEERS or pretend to be one.:roll: **

"When looking at the roof shape from a top view one should conclude is a HIP roof".

HIP

Sorry guys, I did not get back to follow up on the questions. There is a gable on the back of the home but it is just slightly less than 10% of the roof perimeter. Adding these small areas in is enough to exceed the 10% rule. I wanted to be sure I was right before I marked it as non hip.

As to the ladder, the homeowner was using it to clean the gutter while I was doing the inspection.

This is a great example of how the determinations used on the form render the resulting discounts unfair and indescriminate. Prior subjective analysis of the results from hurricane andrew indicated that gables less than 4’ in height generally did not fail. This was in literature from the MSFH program but apparently has been forgotten.

The rush to curtail the discounts by the insurers has obscured some of the good science which originally had been applied. They are gables and should be included in the calculation. But they shouldn’t be, there is little to no chance that they would blow in, at the point they would the house is going to be coming apart all over.

From the picture this is a Hip roof. Ask any structural engineer, any engineering dept at any university, we need to quite the nickel and dime bulls…

Ask any builder, A/E or anyone without a special interest.

According to Webster’s: Gable= a triangular wall enclosed by the sloping ends of a roof.

This is a hip roof.

We are referring to only one piece of the roof, not the roof as a whole. If a section of a roof does not slope down(>1:12) then that section is non-hip. If it slopes 1:12 or less then it is Flat.

A structural engineer would refer too the area at each side of the bay window as a mono gable. Not a special interest just correct construction terminology