Roof Structure - A new one for me

House was a ranch built in 1938.

I arrive at the inspection and noticed it had a metal roof and thought cool, should be an easy one, it was lightly raining so I decided to go in and inspect the attic first. I go up there and to my surprise there was literally no trusses no rafters, the roof structure was built with steel panels with the structrual support on the outside. The sidewalls were the same panels as the roof. The ceiling joists were wood as was the floor structure. I have never seen this before and thought I’d share.

4 Likes

What do you mean no rafters? Looks like painted rafters from here

Could be an optical illusion. Here’s a brighter exposure…

Looks like sealed planking that may be covering the rafters? It is different from anything I’ve seen.

1 Like

maybe you are on to something.

Interesting… So you are saying that it’s just the metal panel in the photo sitting on a ridge beam, and spanning to the wall? Thers’s got to be something there, what would the gutters be attached to?

How far is it from the top plate to the ridge? These panels can often span 5’ or more.

I wasn’t there, but @kleonard seemed that was the case in his OP… :wink:

1 Like

haha, yeah, I didnt mean that part for you.

1 Like

Doesnt seem like you are asking for advice, more of a WTF pic…

But it seems like high winds would just rip the whole thing off, as well as the gables… Unless there is framing on the other side of those panels in the roof, I would right hard. But then again, I am in Florida…

2 Likes

It was very thick guaged steel with those ridges on the upper/outer side giving it it’s rigidity. I did knock on the decking from the attic and it was solid. I’ve never seen anything like it and it was the only house in the area with this type of roof.

2 Likes

No rafter on the inside, the deck surface was flat.

Yes, very strange. Also as I mentioned earlier, the sidewalls were made of the same materials.

1 Like

It is not a deck surface IMO, it is the underside of the panels which can span purlin to purlin five or so feet. Hence, my earlier question.

1 Like

I would guess that span to be 7 or 8 feet.

That seems excessive, eh? I am surprised it is not oil canning or sagging. Cool find.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely my sentiments exactly when I saw it. WTF, it was built in 1938 and is still standing strong. This was some heavy gauged metal, kinda like knocking on a 1940s car, solid.

3 Likes

We need to teach some of the younguns’ what this is like and means… :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

I prefer to call them Youtths’. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yep, that is pretty damn thick. Structural in design is my opinion

4 Likes

“What the hell is a ‘Yute’??”

1 Like

A defendant. :wink:

2 Likes