roof to wall attachment

I’m not doubting you but the few times I have been able to get close enough to similar types of attachments I have found they are one piece. The attachment in the photos in post #16 was from a house built in 1950. The attachment in the photo below was from a house built in 1960. All I am pointing out is that an inspector may want to (if possible) get close enough to these types of attachments to determine if it is one piece or if there are two separate attachments.

In this particular case, if I was the inspector, I would consider going back out to get closer pictures. It might be worth a shot especially knowing the difference toenail versus clips has on homeowner’s premiums.

I thought so too when I first saw these. Maybe this will help.

Yes. It is helpful. Thanks. Your attachments are definitely “Toenail” on the 1802.

Comparing your photos with the ones I posted in post #20…I see two different attachments. Each of the vertical pieces of your attachments has two nails. The vertical piece on the attachment I posted has four nails. No gaps or indications of a seam can be seen. Unless I am missing something, the attachment appears to continue as one piece to the other side of the joist.

I see what you mean. Do you have a photo of the other side? Maybe mine was cut in half to get it on the rafter.:shock: I may just take this over to USP Connectors and see if they any information on it.

Not if they are two separate clips on each side.

Brad, you are right, if they are 2 separate clips, but from the pics from the original poster they look like single clips, kind of like an older version of a simpson H1. If it is a single clip, with two nails on each side, they are clips, if not they are no good and get counted as toe-nails. I guess the only one that can make the final call is the o.p.

Unfortunately I do not.

Brad is correct on this for sure in my opinion.