Room over garage

Todays inspection had a room over the 2 car garage. The floor joist and ceiling were 2X8 16oc. The floor in the room was solid no bounce yet there were some cracks in the sheet rock joints. The home was built in 05.

How would you report this.

Simply report…

Recommend a drywall professional apply an additional layer of compound over hairline cracks in drywall, then sand and paint.

I have this in all my inspection reports…

Interior Cracks
*Common cracks are typically, but not always, defined as hairline cracks less than one-eighth inch wide or less than twelve inches in length. Almost by definition, concrete drywall and stucco will crack, simply because the material shrinks and cracks as it dries, cures, and ages. Common cracks in these materials are also called shrinkage cracks. Common cracks can appear at any time in the life of a structure, typically running diagonally from door and window corners where they typically are of least concern.

Major cracks are typically defined as more than one-eighth inch wide, more than twelve inches in length, excessive in number, unusual (stair-step, V shaped, straight horizontal, or straight vertical), or in unusual locations (such as middle of a wall with no doors or windows nearby). If major cracks are present or appear, you should seek additional evaluation from a qualified structural engineer specializing in foundations and structures. Some major cracks occur simply due to neglect and ignorance about how to take care of common cracks. In other words, a common crack can become a major crack if it is ignored.
Cracks and areas around all cracks should be repaired and monitored on a regular basis, especially during periods of rain and freezing weather and any additional damage should be evaluated by a qualified civil engineer. If you are unfamiliar with common cracks, you should seek the specialized services of a qualified structural engineer for further evaluation and information. Major settlement cracks, particularly in the foundation, walls, ceilings, and/or attached porches/patios, should be inspected BEFORE CLOSE OF ESCROW to help protect your investment in this piece of real estate. Major settlement cracks in driveways, walkways, and other areas typically are more cosmetic than of a critical failure nature but should still be evaluated by a qualified professional. I recommend repair and/or replacement of affected components and regular monitoring and maintenance to seal and weatherproof cracks to help prevent additional damage and accelerated deterioration. *

Although you might be willing to accept a house with more than its fair share of common and major cracks in various areas, the person who seeks to purchase your house somewhere down the road may not be so accepting, thereby leaving you to make repairs then, at which time additional damage might have occurred due to ongoing neglect. It is in your best interest to take care of both common and major cracks now.

That was my thought.

What was the span of the 2X8’s? If they’re over-spanned, the cracks are secondary. Common framing tables will tell you the maximum allowable distance between supports.

What type of ceiling?

Ceilings push out the walls when not correct.

A standard double garage door is 16ft so the average garage is 18-20ft wide which is beyond the span of typical 2x8 by quite a margin.

Regards

Gerry

But we don’t know if the floor joists are left to right or front to rear and if a support beam is present…

Regards,

The room is 12x12. with 1 dbl beam.

12X12? So this is a double Smart-Car garage?

It is centered over the garage. The walls are 8 ft.

**Span table might help. **

Where is the beam. :slight_smile:

“The property has been renovated or remodeled. [Or, alternatively, “additions have been made to this property.”] Therefore, you should request documentation that should include permits and any warranties or guarantees that might be applicable, because we do not approve or tacitly endorse any work done without permits, and latent defects could exist. Note that the presence of un-permitted modifications or additions introduces a history that follows the home and may affect your ability to sell the property at some point in the future.”

Thanks,
The beam runs from the back of the garage to the front sitting on the door header.

Thanks Joe,
I don’t think this was part of the original construction.

(See Allowable Spans for Floor Joists.):slight_smile:

Looks like they were pushing it.:shock:

The span of the joists - from support to supprt - is what matters. The size/location of the room doesn’t matter.

Got it. I’m all over this.
You guys saved me alot of headache.:smiley:

Thus the next related question… what grade lumber was used?

So the span of the joists would be 6 feet (12 ft.with beam in centre) and joists are 2 X 8 which should be appropriate.

Now, how about that beam size; any column (s)?