Running poll who has completed CSA comments?

I would love to post it there, but then the CSA would own the copyright and I wouldn’t be able to post it anywhere else, like Sun-Media or the CBC website for example!

Wishful thinking!

When licensing becomes law, it will only allow one Standard.

Guess which one…:shock:

Gentlemen - only 5 days left for ALL persons to voice comments on the standards.
Please dont take this thread on a tangent.
NACHI boasts 500+ Canadian Inspectors and we have about a dozen that admit they fulfilled the comment section of CSA.

Nick - I am a member and I never got a notice from NACHI advising to get involved?

Either this is true Canadian apatheticy, or inspectors are not telling us they have jumped aboard to protect the home inspection industry?
For those inspectors that care I suggest you send the link to your lawyers, mortage contacts, real estate contacts etc and try to get them involved.

5 days left - get it done and let us know - CSA will let us know the numbers and then what do you say to them when they say “not many home inspectors commented so it must be a GOOD STANDARD”

Well I’m on that Committee and we’re having a “short conference” on December 18. I’ve already stated that inspectors were underrepresented. If you have any comments, I’d be happy to help.
G

A very important letter .

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/associations-ethics-standards-licensing-legislation-home-inspectors-commercial-inspectors/41214-csa-standard-home-inspection-now-available-review-2.html#post251170

Gilles,

You can tell them from my part that the CSA A770 in their present form are very very bad.

I’ve started reviewing them online and after 30+ suggestions I gave up; in their present form they are just not worth salvaging, in my opinion.

A lot of inspectors have emailed me and most of them are concerned about the application of such standards in a real world inspection.

G

My thoughts exactly!
Did they take a look and the existing SOPs and the NOS. I doubt that was done.
I asked that very question at the webinar but did not get an answer.:twisted:

Cheers

I would love to contribute further but from my perspective–they pulled a car into the garage that had no engine, transmission, tires, seats, interior or body panels and asked me to “comment on what this car needs to get running”

Its immensely frustrating that we have to work with this fractionally finished piece of garbage and that somehow WE are apathetic for failing to do so!

AND should we comment–they will just turn around and SELL it back to us as THEIR product (see www.restorecsa.com):mad:

http://www.restorecsa.com/ This works …the ) in the website addresss stopped it from working… Roy

What do you think of this response…

“We are in 2014 & need to consider the client & what they want. All the standards (past forty years) have been created by inspectors to avoid work & liability.”

Not by me, but someone closely involved.

I think the “client” should be careful what they want, unless they want to spend a couple thousand $ and up to 2 days at an inspection ! :slight_smile:

How about this idea…the Government pass a law making it mandatory for the Seller to have a CSA A770 inspection !! :mrgreen:

Clients and Realtors would then be very active in reducing expectations from a home inspection.

That person should not be closely involved, in my opinion!

From what I’m told here in BC, and I’m not 100% sure; many banks require a home inspection before they approve a mortgage. If this trend continues, it’s good for the industry no matter how crazy the standards end up.

This is what happened to Electricians .
You can be sure it will happen to home Inspectors soon too.
Alberta electrician says Ontario College of Trades wants his cash, too

Posted by Steve Payne on March 13, 2013 in Industry · 30 Comments

An electrician in Alberta, who got his original Certificate of Qualification in Ontario, sent us a letter about how, when he contacted the Ontario College of Trades recently, he got some pretty disturbing news.

Here’s his letter. (The lobby group against the College of Trades has a website at www.stopthetradestax.ca.)
Dear Editor:
The new Ontario College of Trades is the worst thing that could happen to tradespeople, and not just in Ontario.
I’ve been an Alberta resident for 22 years, after moving from Sarnia. I received my inter-provincial license in Ontario 33 years ago. I’ve always renewed my electrical license with a simple $60 fee every 3 years to the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities. I heard from the Ontario College of Trades for the first time last week when I received a letter stating I must pay them $360 every 3 years. When I contacted the client services department of the College of Trades asking them to explain the benefit of the 500 per cent increase, they said it was to manage the Ontario program. I was told I would have no benefit and no say in the Ontario program. Either I pay money for nothing, or lose my inter-provincial electrical license. It’s ransom, plain and simple.
Ontario’s costly membership fees are a major deterrent to young apprentices. My advice to young people considering the trades as a profession is to come to Alberta. Keep your hard earned dollars, and get your license here. It’s good for life, with no ongoing fees, issues or hurdles.
Sincerely,
John MacMillan, Electrician
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta

Just another “revenue tool” that tool of a premier and her band of thieves dreamed up!:twisted:

More money for them to waste!

OMG

Yep and we could be next .
I am surprised how few Home Inspectors are concerned .

From past experience with the government, whether it be municipal, provincial or national, once the bureaucratic machinery is in motion, there is no stopping it!

CSA has done its work and nothing will change its mind. Comments will fall on deaf ears.

The public servants feel they are always right and they will mindlessly read the comments (if we are lucky) and then dismiss them.

They will unfortunately have their way.

Remember the board to make sure we were not gouged by the HST? Remember the E testing of vehicles? The list goes on endlessly.

They will win, we will lose.

Sad to say, but that is my take and when I am faced with a $3,000 insurance bill, I will be out of business.

A sad state of affairs that could have been avoided if only the industry had been united.

My personal opinion, the fault lies with OAHI! If they had operated as was originally intended we would have been one voice.

Just my opinion

Here’s an opportunity for ALL, if not most associations to agree on “common ground”. We either collectively agree that “we” do not support the proposed standard and provide a brief summary list of why.

Would this have merit?