Rusting valley flashing question

Originally Posted By: jbilski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello,

Cedar shake roof with open valley flashing that has lots of surface rust. I'm assuming material used is galvanized metal. Is this surface rust common with this flashing and is it a concern for my client? No interior leakage.

I also found Mr. squirrel living in the soffits. Whom do you guys refer to, to get rid of these animals?......local municipalities animal control?

Thanks,
John

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

No takers?

Okay, it was galvanized for a reason. To keep it from rusting, which leads to failure.

Rusting valleys mean replacement is needed, however, IF the roof is old (in relation to its expected life) then I explain what is needed and recommend replacement of the roof and valley at the same time, either now or later, my client's choice (of course, I recommend NOW).

When asked how long it might last before it leaks, I tell them that it "might" last until tonight, "might" even last until tomorrow night, heck, it "might" even last longer, but there is NO WAY I am going to say 'it will'. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida