S-Trap?

BUMP!

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f22/50062d1322103979t-s-trap-dsc03692b.jpg

So do we have any consensus whether the “site made” P-trap, trap arm and sanitary T form an illegal S-trap?

Here is a little better diagram showing waste piping terms

Correction needed

What are you the typo police now? You … really? Why don’t you post something useful … :roll:

YES!

Perhaps I should have posted a poll on this thread…

First of all it’s not " illegal".

Second of all, I have spent considerable amounts of time in documenting the siphoning affect of “S traps”.

Unless there is a significant vertical drop from the trap downward, it’s not going to happen.

Pressure is relevant to elevation, not volume.

You cannot produce a significant negative pressure if you do not have a significant fall after the S-trap. In this particular instance it is totally impossible to siphon water through the trap if you filled the vertical drain riser to capacity and drained it at the maximum capacity of the pipe.

I always point this out when my report says it is “Illegal” David is correct most of the time an S-trap will create a problem is with a long vertical drop.
Since a break in the siphon has been added this is not an S-trap and will not siphon. The horizontal arm should have been longer before the stack just for added assurance.

Not saying it’s ok, just addressing the “S Trap” thing.

So if the pipe on the right is a stand pipe and the pipe on the left is a cheater vent, is not the basic principal air behind water not being observed? IMO I am not a plumber but to me I would absolutely say that this looked like an amateur plumbing installation in my report.
Does it just drain out to the ditch or is it tied into “something”?

Pipe on the right is the tailpiece from a sink or standpipe but I can’t say this for sure because I was not at this inspection.

551 views of this thread and only 5-6 comments as to whether the drain for the washer (not incuding the AAV) is proper. Are there no plumbers in the home inspection ranks?

wrong type of “TEE”…says the Electrician…me call’s it an “S” trap…a man made “S” trap…:wink:

New OpenDocument Text 2.pdf (125 KB)

Let’s try this one again,

New OpenDocument Text 2.pdf (125 KB)

Run that picture by an experienced plumbing inspector or an experienced, licensed plumber. Will be interesting to see their reponse.

What are you trying to illustrate or say with that graphic, Marcel?

The Canadian plumbing code says in **Pipe Fittings **Section 2.4.1

“A T fitting shall not be used in a drainage system except to connect a vent pipe.”

We must use a Sanitary T in the location in which you are calling for a “tee”

Sanitary tee
A sanitary tee is a tee with a curved center section designed to minimize the possibility of siphon action that could draw water out of a trap. The center connection is generally connected to the pipe which leads to a trap (the trap arm).

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2895&stc=1&d=1189960113