Sagging Ridgeline

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jpope

Dave,

You should post a warning for anyone using "dial up" with pictures that big ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

Are those pics too big? Those pixels started out at 2160 X 1440, so I compressed them down to 600 X 400.

Should I be compressing them even more?![](upload://8pziD9WuXIIgRRAStvhrgWJxNYm.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’m okay with large files, photos etc. I’ve got a T-1 connection. I noticed a bit of a hang up the first time I viewed them so I looked at the properties. 77k and 50k may take a few seconds for dial-up.

I think you compression rate is fine, I'm just bustin' your chops ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: pdacey

What’s a dial-up? icon_rolleyes.gif

jpope wrote:
I've got a T-1 connection.

Braggart.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

I generally do 800x600. I have dial up at home and it works pretty well for these.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

When you guys see obvious termite damage do you call it out as such. Or do you put in the report something like, damage to said area noted, recommend evaluation by a structural engineer icon_question.gif

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Vince,

Why don't we start a new topic on this subject. We are getting off topic on this particular thread. That way it gets categorized and everyone can learn from this question.

Ok.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Lew Lewis

Vince,

I'll answer the question. If the damage is termites, I state it in the report. If the damage and repair is straighforward, I just recommend a contractor. It can cost more to have a PE evaluate it than the repair itself. I don't recommend a PE too often.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Lew,

IF the house has trusses, your only option is to recommend a structural engineer to design appropriate repairs. Trusses are engineered systems and should only be modified or repaired in accordance with more engineering.

The cost of the engineer should not be your concern and should affect what you recommend.

IF the house has hand framed rafters, then I would still recommend a structural engineer (for my CYA), but at least that is not an engineered system and a good, qualified, licensed contractor should be able to make those repairs ... but I am still recommending the structural engineer as the cost of the repair does not affect what I recommend.

My clients can either accept the recommendation and pay for the engineer themselves, have the seller pay for the engineer, walk away from the deal, or, ignore my recommendation and suffer the consequences.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: rray

I rarely recommend an engineer, but that is in name only. I usually use “qualified foundation professional” or “qualified structural professional.” Just my preference in semantics.

I also have a T1 line. I couldn't imagine spending so much time on the Internet with dial-up. In 1994, when I started using AOL, it was with dial-up. With each new year, I have been able to upgrade my Internet connections. And I still love AOL.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.