Sail Boat Scan...need advice please.

I have been asked to do a thermal imaging scan on an ocean going vessel. The client just purchased this sail boat and has had a marine survey conducted. The surveyor stated that water/moisture was found in the hull (moisture meter). A second opinion from another surveyor stated that no water is in the hull. My client is confused and has requested an ITI scan be conducted. I made no promises to him in terms of success; however, I’m willing to give it try. I’m basically treating the scan similar to a flat roof survey. I will be doing this survey approximately 2-3 hours after sunset. I will also post photos later tonight.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
BTW The boat is constructed with fiberglass and is currently not in the water.

Im no help, but I would Love to see the pictures and hear results.

I predict you are going to see some significant moisture penetrations…it just comes with boats. My only suggestion would be to not expect the same results you would for a residential dwelling, i.e. don’t freak out. Opening ports are infamous for leaking. Look closely where the mast attaches to the deck (assuming it’s a deck stepped mast), that’s a sensitive area. If you can, scan a couple of nearby boats for comparison. Just for S&G check the bilges to see if there is a significant amount of water there. The pumps should handle the majority of any water intrusion but if you have 2-3" standing in several different bilges then can be a negative indicator.

Mario,

You may want to contact Paul Bousquet at:

paul.bousquet@videotron.ca

http://www.habitatspec.com/

He inspects boats using 3D software and may be able to advise you if time permits.

Marcel
I went to Little training center in you home town for Bell Canada I was wondering if it was still there Little stone building near the river, Stone throw from the pub

Wayne,

I’m not familiar with Little center and Stone throw but if you expand on your question my brother, who worked for Bell Canada, might remember.

Bring a heater.

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Well, here it is gentlemen, in a nut shell.

The port side has evidence of a past repair and the starboard side has evidence of a past collision with a dock or another boat is my best guess. Can you see the imprint of the boarding ladder? It has been repaired; however, the different emissivity of the materials used to repair it gives us the complete historical picture……almost complete.
I found no evidence of moisture or water in the hull. I did find some historical information about this vessel.
Don’t you just love this technology, 2 hours of work and $650.00 later the client now knows that his boat has been involved in at least 2 collisions!
BTW I’m quite certain that the Marine Surveyor that originally inspected this boat is a very competent Surveyor, but he doesn’t use IR. His inspection/survey suggested that water was present in the hull. A second Surveyor said that no water is present and a Level 2 Thermographer said that no water is present!
I suggest that all Thermographers that are slow with building inspections hit the marinas and start talking to boat owners or Marine Surveyors. The possibilities of this technology are endless and it will help get some inspectors through the rough times. Just a thought guys.

Thanks for all who replied!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Did you, and if so how did you, verify the absence of water in the hull.

For instance, on flat roofs, verification of IR data must be carried out by invasive test methods.

Noninvasive methods of verification can be used as a compliment but not to replace the invasive verification.

Curious…I’ve never done a boat before and I live around a lot of water.

I would consider getting “on board”.

Regarding the noninvasive methods, I was thinking other than infrared imaging, Mario…[FONT=ArialMT][size=2]capacitance meters and the like.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=2][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=2]Your Tramex was the Moisture Encounter Plus?[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=2][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=2]Thanks, Mario. I appreciate learning about the vessels.
[/size][/FONT]

were there signs of osmosis near the keel or along the water line of the hull, did the stern along the transome have signs as well. Also did the keel bolts show any wear or have slack in them. Also did the bow slip line have any wear or signs of scuffing. were there scuff or lines along the bottom of the keel.
what was the core a balsa or foam or solid fiberglass.

Nope!

ok then

Very Cool Pics. I guess the sky is the limit with thermal imaging.