"Sales, Customer Service and Communication" course

After reviewing the communication video I can see how a important it is to come across as a professional there to do a great job for your client to make them feel that you understand their needs and can fulfill them

Carpeted Bathrooms

Although carpeted bathrooms in homes may be more pleasing to walk on than cold hard floor surfaces, and may give the bathroom a nice warm feel or atmosphere, carpets are also prone to trapping bacteria and mold. Damp or wet carpet padding may cause mold and damage to the sub floor. This inspector typically advises his clients that they replace bathroom carpet with hard floor surfaces such as tile, which are easier to clean and maintain.

Central Vacuum Systems

Central vacuum systems were first introduced in Sweden in the 1850’s, even before motors were used.
This type of system has become more popular since the 1990’s, being installed in new larger homes.
Many people still prefer to use hand held vacuum cleaners however do to the cost of built in vacuum systems along with other reasons.

read:

BBQ safety
Barn Inspections

BBQ safety addressed the handling of propane and the ventilation of all BBQ units for the sake of safety. I had a fire occur from a BBQ, but the reason was not addressed by the article. I had cooked a number of marinated meats and fatty meats in a propane BBQ over time. Eventually a thick layer of creosote / carbon built up in the base of the BBQ. At some point the materials caught fire. My wife “manned” the grill - I was not home. She turned off the gas. The flame continued. She removed the meat - ruined. The flames continued. She used a fire extinguisher. I now routinely clean my grill thoroughly. I use a putty knife, disposable gloves and a garbage sack to remove the carbon on the sides and grill itself BEFORE using the grill. No fires since. This could have been far worse. Had the propane tank’s hose melted or burned we would have had a real problem.

Barn inspection. Appreciate a reminder of all the various hazards present in a barn. I just completed an inspection that involved an older loft barn. In addition to the common issues and hazards noted in your article I found unsafe means of access to the loft - no rails, steep stairs, no stair lighting, no hand rail or guard railing, uneven steps… There were trip hazards and non-functioning barn doors and stable gates. The single most likely adverse issue in a barn is going to be earth-to-wood contact in my opinion. Pressure treated wood in a barn is less likely as there is a fear that animals will gnaw on posts and be poisoned in the process. Farms seem to be notorious for having rotting wood fence posts and barn posts.

Reading/Writing Assignment

15 Tools Every Homeowner Should Own

These are all very good tools to own, especially the plunger, duct tape, and flashlight. I would add a wire stripper to this list. Now that we live in such a digitally oriented world, where people have numerous digital home devices, connected thermostats and lighting, I believe the need for this tool is sufficiently warranted. Add electrical connection pieces, shrinkwrap, etc to really ‘round out’ the electrical ‘kit’.

AFCI Testers

I found it interesting just how much more expensive these devices are than their GFCI counterparts. But I understand their need in the inspectors handbag. These devices identify electrical arcs in electric branches. It is interesting to also note that these monitoring devices assist in determining if the AFCI outlet is operating properly (AFCI outlet contains its own branch fault identifier).

Your Clients know how they want to be treated. When you treat them with respect and in a friendly manner they will what to use your services. If they feel they are treated poorly, they can easily take their business elsewhere. Your clients are purchasing more than your product or service. They are doing business with a company that appreciates them and treats them well. Clients will often seek out a particular company and pay more money for their product or service based upon how well they are treated. Clients who are not satisfied with your service can go somewhere else.

Carpeted Bathrooms

Carpeted bathrooms, while against code in commercial buildings, may be found in residential. Though far less common than more traditional bathroom flooring such as tile or vinyl, carpeted bathrooms offer some benefits such as coziness and pleasure to walk on. There are important downsides involved as well, largely revolving around moisture and the development of damaging mold. These are the things an inspector should be looking for when encountering a carpeted bathroom.

Daylight Savings Time

A system in place where the time of day is shifted an hour forward in the spring and an hour back in the fall. Commonly phrased, “spring forward & fall back” for memory purposes. The inception of these laws was designed to cut energy consumption through increased daylight hours in the evening time when more people are active. The actual impact is difficult to judge and heavily debated.

The articles I chose to read were “Burglar resistant Homes” & “Air sampling for mold inspections”.

I found both informative and there were some good common sense tips for the homeowner to help thwart burglaries.

I have enjoyed this course, a great reminder of how important a first impression is.

“Home buyer Mistakes” and “How Home Buyers Can Choose the Right Real Estate Pro.” It is amazing how many Realtors and Inspectors do minimal work and expect to keep work coming in. With all the competition out there you think they would try and stand out. I guess the crummy realtors and inspectors work well together. I wonder how long that will last?

Reading and Writing Assignment

Ghosting:
Ghosting is the term used to identify any discoloration upon a home’s walls that many are not familiar with seeing. The “ghosts” are particulates that stick to the wall and form darkened areas. These particulates can be soot, dust or other similar tiny objects floating in the house that stick to the walls. Baseboard heating and fireplaces can also contribute to ghosting.

Meeting Client for the First Time article: This is just good reminders of how to appear professional at first meeting. I actually quit working with an inspector due to his inability to recognize some of these basic and simple things. His car was always extremely nasty inside and out. He always smelled of cigarette smoke and even smoked outside at clients homes sometimes. He always mumbled and would get frustrated with clients when they asked questions. Very poor communicator. I’m thankful to be away from this embarrassing behavior. Good article, he should see it and practice it. I’ll be nice and just mind my own business though.

Magic Marker Marketing article: This is a good idea. I actually did this on several of my "Now That You've Had A Home Inspection" books I just received. Great book for the business. Delivered them to Realtor firms in my area yesterday. They were all very thankful to receive the book. I think it will work out to get more business. Thanks!

Selling to Real Estate Professionals

Marketing is definitely the key to bring success to your business. The real estate agent is where you make your first/first impression. If you impress them with a professional attitude and polite manner they are more likely to recommend your service to their client. At that point you can continue the cycle by making their client happy to become your client.

I enjoyed the course as a refresher. I really liked to hear that inspectors in the Florida keys wear sandals. Steel toed boots are a requirement for my firm’s operations. I learned from the video that we are service area specific inspectors. What applies to my firm may not apply to another firm thousands of miles away.

I would like to just say thank you to Ben for this course ,I really enjoyed it sir you did a great job with it.
Thank You…

I read the article “depreciation of investment property”.
Depreciation is a phantom expense because you get a write off without actually spending the money out of your pocket. The depreciation write off can reduce your tax liability to zero when your property actually produces positive income. Most of the time when an investment property has a mortgage associated with it the depreciation can create a loss on paper that you may be able to use against your personal income. As a home inspector you can qualify as real estate professional status which allows you to use these write offs with out limits or income level restrictions. Investment property when financed with long term fixed rate financing can make money in multiple ways: Cashflow from rent, mortgage pay-down, tax benefits, value appreciation and one other way is through inflation’s destructive effect on the debt used to purchase the asset. Always remember to get professional advise when making investment and tax decisions.

Hi everyone, I’m having a time conducting my research regarding the zoning ordinance for inspectors in the Home Inspection Professional Training Course. I will post what I’ve learned in a little bit.
Definition of zoning laws / ordinances are restrictions and typically segregate land uses into three main categories, residential, commercial and industrial including mixed-use zones.
In summary, InterNACHI inspectors can better serve their clients with a basic understanding of their local zoning laws and /or by learning how zoning laws affect construction in the areas in which they operate, although offering advice regarding zoning or variances is beyond the scope of a home inspection, and inspectors may want to refer their clients to a local municipal representative.

Interestingly I read the article, “Here are some freebies that inspectors should NEVER give out”. While a comical view on things that wouldn’t go so well with your client, there is a bit of good hard truth in that it is not the time to start kidding about your clients home. This is very likely one of the largest purchases of their life.

For my research topic I looked at the article on how to convince a real estate agent to recommend you to their clients (https://www.nachi.org/sell-to-a-real-estate-professional.htm). This had a number of useful tips, my favorite of which was to explain to the realtor that you believe that whatever you do as an inspector reflects on the realtor. Thus, you want to do everything in your power to bring your image and practice to the highest standards of professionalism. I like this approach as it not only flatters the realtor, which is good, but it is a promise for your personal and professional conduct that most will appreciate. Even though it could be taken for granted that you would be a consumate professional anyway, it never hurts to have it explicitly stated.

10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home:

Today, more than even it’s very important to save money and energy in your home. With rates going up every year, it’s a plus to know what saves money and energy. From low flush toilets to the smallest LED all energy efficient items to add up over time. When I’m asked is it worth it, I always tell my clients yes. The initial investment can vary and sometimes be expensive but at the end of the day, it’s totally worth it. Therefore I always recommend energy efficient items when asked.

Rarely do I encounter phenomenal customer service anymore. Recently, I had the pleasure of speaking to an Apple rep in regards to a problem my mother in law was having. I myself, am an android guy, however, the rep took personal responsibility for the issue we were having was clear and concise in his communication and openly admitted when he was unsure. Further research was needed on his end and he called back with a solution.

The rep really went the extra mile to make me feel as though the problem I was having was also his problem and in turn gave me a tremendous amount of confidence in him and the company to find a solution. Having resolved the issue the rep followed up with me a week later to see if everything was going smoothly and if he could help me with anything else.

This impression has had a lasting effect on how I view not only this rep and his customer service but Apple as well and may very well steer me, an “Android Guy” towards apples products in the future, not an easy thing to do.

I read an article on asbestos siding. I learned that despite is know health issues that is can still be acceptable to have with proper maintenance. In fact asbestos siding is highly fire retardant and resists rot and insects much more than wood and is easily painted.