Sales Tax in CA?

(Jason Ramey) #1

I’m pretty sure the answer is NO, but do any of you CA HI’s charge a sales tax? We’re providing a service not a product… right?

I saw in other posts about this and it seems like it varies state to state.

Thanks
-Jason

(Stephen W. Stanczyk, WA License #221) #2

This question is best asked of your business accountant. You are treating this like a business and not a hobby, right?

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #3

No sales tax.

(Jason Ramey) #4

Thanks Ian.

(Nicholas R. Peres) #5

Unless you’re selling plungers or fly zappers to your clients, Ian is right. No sales tax on a HI.

(Scot Baker, CMI) #6

Only when I sell a BIGCrawler to an in state home inspector do we charge tax.

(Frank Rotte, , CPI, San Diego Home Inspector) #7

California is not yet taxing services. At some point our Legislators could decide they’re leaving money on the table.

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #8

It’s been proposed many times. There is actually currently a proposal in the Assembly to tax at least certain services.

Though it’s never made it far enough out of committee to get anywhere near a reality.

And hopefully, it stays that way.

The California Association of Realtors always comes out strongly opposed to the measure, so it never gets too much traction.

(John Hastey, 495286 B-1) #9

It’s probably only a question of time before THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA gets a sales tax bill pushed through. And FYI, move it afoot to remove the Workers Comp exemption enjoyed by sole proprietors and Independent Contractors (working with multi inspector firms).