Score one for the HI

Originally Posted By: pdacey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had an inspection this week on a new house. The construction manager was a little grumpy when I showed up. Apparently he doesn’t like it when customers hire an inspector. There really wasn’t much to write up on the house. It was pretty clean. But when I was doing the exterior inspection I noticed a small pile of dirt in the corner near the front entry. I didn’t think much of it until I noticed the same thing at the back door. It was obvious that someone had put the dirt there. So being the curious person that I am I knocked the pile down and found an entire loaf of bread buried there. I went back to the one at the front door and the same thing except this one already had a colony of ants living in it. I finished my inspection and then brought the manager back to the house to show him what I found. It appears that some one in the pest business is rigging the houses to attract ants or whatever so they can get work out of it. He was pretty pi$$ed off. But he was extremely grateful that I found it and pointed it out to him. He said that they were having problems with ants at a few of the newer homes. Now he knows why.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Nice Job Patrick!!

This time, curiosity didn't kill the cat, it killed the pest control company!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Patrick,

The only surprise is that it wasn't a tortilla. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Hard to believe anyone would plant such an item though.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Patrick, Is this what you seen when you kicked that dirt pile?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

David,

Yes it was. I never knew ants were so fast. When I knocked the pile over they scattered in like 2 milliseconds, or so it seemed.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: jmyers

That is a pretty good story. Also pretty smart since if the ants did not get the bread, mother nature would take care of the evidence.

Did the builder ever find out if the bread was treated?

Joe Myers

Joe,

I have not had any contact with the builder since the day of the inspection. I have to call the agent today. I'll ask him if he has heard anything from the builder.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Patrick,

Other than the bread simply being there. What leads you to believe that it was intentionally rigged?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

John,

The bread was not below ground level. Each loaf was leaning in a corner vertically and then covered with dirt so it created a mound. My initial feeling was that someone was trying to hide an imperfection in the foundation. And that there were two identical mounds with the same type of bread inside.

Unless there is a ritual for buying a new house that I'm unware of (which did cross my mind), it seemed fishy to me.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: dvalley

This is called an “Ant Open House”. Come one come all.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Hey Patrick,

That does seem weird (about the bread) but I see fire ant mounds on the side and built into the weep holes of almost every newly constructed home that I've inspected. I call it out every time and recommend a pest control expert but that's not a guarantee a particular bug guy will get the job. Also, the builder will probably dump fire ant killer on the mound themselves and not have it treated by a pro.

I usually never disturb the mounds. Maybe I should quit loafing! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Here's a pic of a typical small mound. Were your ants fire ants?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/i0000004.jpg

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I just love it when the fire ants haven’t made the nest so visible because it’s in a garden…right below the electric panel…and you’re standing on the nest, with the cover off and then you get bit, and bit, and bit…and still have to replace the panel cover.

Southern Living magazine never said anything about them thangs ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)