Second Buyer requesting a previous inspection on same property

Thank You Larry & Chuck, You two Gentlemen are part of the reason this is usually a productive Q&A site. I always respect your commentary on posts.
Matt

2 Likes

Just looking through these replies… for those who say they own the rights to the report, not the client… your clients are OK with that? If I pay you to inspect my home, I would not be happy if you turned around and shared my report with someone else.

I own the copyright to every inspection report I ever produced under my company. I wouldn’t resell it for a number of reasons and I’m required to maintain confidentiality of my client’s inspection. However that has no bearing on copyright ownership. I grant my client broad license to use and distribute the report as they need, but I retain all rights. Just like the photographer who photographs your wedding, the producer of the work owns the copyright unless they transfer it to someone else. Some states such as CA may have specific requirements that require the reports to be available to the public.

My contract says I own the inspection report. I would sell it to another buyer if they sign a hold harmless agreement.

I was down in Hollywood FL this morning & was thinking of you!

I had an uncle that lived in DeBary Florida.

1 Like

Original report was paid for by that client, I assume. Generally, he owns it.

I’d tell the prospective that:

1. The other guy owns the report, and has moved on, and all client contact info is confidential. (Up to you if you want to play matchmaker)

2. That report is about 8 months old and, since reports are in conditions as they were on the date of inspection, it isn’t wise to assume conditions are the same.

If you get the reinspect, of course you’d reference your original report for your benefit. But a new inspection and a new report are called for.

Another thought, if the new buyer is too cheap to pay for his own report, he’s probably not a good client. If he baulks at paying for his, at your regular fee, walk away.