Secondary drian line termination

I would love to know how something like this passes inspection.
This is a townhome built in 1986

Duct termination.jpg

Duct.jpg

It seems that townhomes’ and condos’ building inspectors don’t have to follow the same rules as everywhere else. I’ve been in three townhomes in different areas of Cook County (Chicago Area) and all three of them had exhaust vents terminating in the attic.](*,)

Kevin

One cannot assume that anything passed inspection by anyone other than the homeowner, even if it was supposed to be inspected.

As I quite often have to explain to my Clients, the permitting process is a three-step process here (and in previous states where I have worked: Texas, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida): one tells the AHJ what one is going to do and “pulls” the permits for the work. That’s the easy part here, and many of our AHJs here allow one to do that online nowadays.

The second part is the difficult part because it requires that a building inspector, code inspector, plumbing inspector, etc., inspect the work that was done. AHJs charge for their work in that respect, sometimes to the tune of $500 an hour. If one just did a 3-bedroom/3-bathroom/garage converted gut & renovate, and the inspector “estimates” that it will take three days (or 24 labor hours) to inspect all the work, well, 24 hours times $500/hour equals $12,000. Once Mr. Homeowner discovers that, Mr. Homeowner decides to just skip that step since he’s satisfied with the work and he’s planning on living there for the next 20 years. Skipping that step, however, means that the final step—inspector sign off and permit closing fee—cannot be done. That leaves open permits and can create havoc for anyone buying the property without doing their due diligence regarding the permit history of the property.

If you don’t recommend permit history research to your Clients yet, in writing, you should. It will serve two purposes:
(1) keep you out of court when they discover all sorts of things wrong inside the walls that you couldn’t see (don’t rely on your contract to exclude permits–remember that anyone can sue anyone at any time for any reason–be helpful); and
(2) when those Clients do their due diligence and discover permitting problems, you will be the first one they call with a big “Thank you” for being so helpful. And then they will tell all their friends about how helpful you were, and you’ll get so many referrals that you’ll have to hire people to help you make more money and be even more helpful to more people.

Gawd, I love this industry.

Well, at least the occupants would know if there is a problem pretty quickly … :twisted: