See a safety hazard in these pictures?

Bet if you were trapped down there in a fire you would find a way to squeeze up.:stuck_out_tongue:
No body notice the light fixture?
Guess so you do not fall in at night. lol

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f16/40262d1290240511t-see-safety-hazard-these-pictures-home-inspection-ben-gromicko-3.jpg http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f16/40263d1290240523t-see-safety-hazard-these-pictures-home-inspection-ben-gromicko-4.jpg
I think of my child falling into the open window well. Or me!
It’s exclusive of egress, basement, crawlspace, drain, light etc. concerns.

Sorry for the confusion Marcel and everyone.
I though I was having a conversation about egress entry.s .
Not the photo but the course I am on.
As for the window well I have only seen corrugated type in Montreal and never the cement one as in picture.
The only covers I have seen are flimsy at best and a dog would go through it and if the area is not light up at night one might have a problem.
Sorry.

That’s why I mentioned a gating or railing.

Is that a light fixture of a ground fault socket with a light attached?
:nachi::nachi::nachi:

Here is something close.

http://www.escapewindows.net/

It doesn’t meet the current egress requirements thats for sure, when it was built it was probably legal. Other than the size of the window opening it isn’t 3 feet deep either. The new rules for egress were to let Firefighters in and not so much to let people out. Most people when presented with fire will be able to get out, but elderly and children can’t The reason for the opening size and height is because they were finding dead kids under windows. Now with the new requirements the Firefighter can reach into the opening and feel for people and remove them.
The fall hazard is a big deal and I would for sure call it, but is there a code that requires a cover? I see far more open wells than covered.

I do not worry about complex code books when it comes to safety but the answer is yes.
See #16

Thanks BOB for that tid-bit.
Its in my Computer for referencing.
I know this has been cover but I am lost to find it, if we see code violations what should be done.
I know, I here you all screaming but I forget.

When did we become code inspectors?

Answer your question with a question.
Are you looking for code violations?

Whose code?

Are you totally up to date on every towns code?

You inspect based on national standards and you recommend.

I have a code book Bob,
plus I am also getting an additional one that is up to date for for Montreal, Quebec, I have Ontario’s and Roy Cooke was kind enough to give me.
After reading a post ( that he was not on ) I was explaining to Scot M that I wanted to get up to speed on code and looking for reference on codes and places to look.
Minutes later he ( Mr.Cooke )sends me an email me saying he is mailing me his code book. It arrived the next day.
I was so busy I did not call him till the following week and regret I did not phone him as soon as it arrived.
I wanted to talk to him and had a million things to say, but shyness is a problem I have to overcome.
Nice to have people watching your back. As you do also BOB.
I plan on doing phase inspections down the road.
I was wondering if I report on obvious violations, Or just note the defect and note recommendations in my report.
The other is making recommendations .
I see you can put your foot in your mouth making suggestions and wording has to be structured as not to imply demands or conclusions.
This is the last part of my report writing issues that I am stumbling on.
Everything else is practice.
I do not want to get into litigation and avoid it at all costs , henceforth my questions.

A little late to the party but having spent most of my work life in northern climes; the fact that there is no obvious drainage in this sunken patio could present a real ice hazard in winter. (yes, even with the canopy above)

Russell almost every home one the island of Montreal has a basement. It would surprise me to see a crawl space or slab on grade. I have seen both but its basements that are the norm here.

Covers can also keep snow from melting into the basement :wink: