seeking advice

Originally Posted By: Todd Davey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

hello everyone

Being relatively new, I am looking for tips on how to create business from real estate agents. I have given speeches at re offices, but seeking more info to drum up business from agents and the public. Any suggestions to maximize my business would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to email me privately, nancyandtodd@sympatico.ca

Thank you, Todd Davey

Originally Posted By: Patrick Dacey

Todd,

I'm in the same boat you are. I've been licensed since July and am finding it very frustrating in how long it seems to be taking to get a decent work flow going. One thing I am trying is to get my information directly to people that are selling their homes. If you're selling, you're buying so you need an inspector. Over the past two weeks I've sent out 1500 post cards to addresses that are for sale in my area. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck.

Pat

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Guys, when I started back in 1995, I had the same problems you are having. I am starting over in a new state, and in a small town, and am having the same problems all over again. I only did about 220 inspections back in 1995, and this time I will do less than that. Agents are very loyal, which is a double edged sword. Once they are loyal to you…

JOIN NACHI.

All I can tell you is that the fastest way to get business that I have found is to be very persistent in visiting real estate offices. Try to stuff the agents mail boxes with flyers each time you are there. I hit the large offices each week, and the small offices twice a month. I just took a booking (thank God) five minutes ago, and the Realtor said that he just had to try us because he kept seeing flyers time and time again in his mail box. At least I know he can read icon_biggrin.gif .

Also, try to find something which differentiates you from your competition. Use your background, your report, E&O, or something which sets you apart from your competition. Also, send them the NACHI newsletter, I have gotten a nice response from it.

Good Luck
Blaine

PS ReMax was and continues to be the most difficult offices to break into. Any ideas, Nick?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Blaine,

You are trying to sell your service to real estate agents, try selling yourself first. Those agents you are soliciting are most likely comfortable with the inspector they are currently using. Is what you are looking to do is to create a relationship with agents, not just the ones that use your company. They are familiar with the other inspector, now let them know what you will do to make their life better with you. There are several things you can do, it is really up to you how you will achieve that goal.

Joe Myers

Blaine,

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to begin the "Flyer Assault" next week. It's just extremely frustrating spending so much time and effort with little or no response.

When I first decided to become an inspector I spoke to someone who had been in the business for a while and he said the most difficult part about being an inspector is getting started. I guess he was right.

Pat

PS
I plan on joining NACHI once my cash flow gets back to an acceptable level.

--
Patrick Dacey
SouthWest Inspections
San Antonio TX

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Joe,

I agree with what you said. Relationship building is what the business is all about. After rereading my post, I guess it sounded more technical. The whole idea is just to get in front of the agents, and to get them to like you and your service.

Best,
Blaine

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Patrick;

Try going to open houses on Sunday and visit with realtors one on one. Make sure there are no people inside but the realtor. Make a very short intro, who you are ect. and give them a few business cards and brochures, sometimes if they have been slow they will talk your hear off. Let them talk but try to keep it on your subject Home Inspections and your ability to do a great job for them.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim,

Good advice, thanks. One thing that frustrates me is that every realtor I talk too has bad things to say about pretty much every inspector they have used, but they are reluctant to try a new inspector. I don't get it. The biggest issue that comes up when I talk to them is that the inspector wrote something they feel was unnecessary. And 9 times out of 10, it's not what the inspector wrote about it's how he wrote it.

A lot of people in here seem to come down on a report that may generalize too much. But on a lot of the reports that I've seen where the inspector gets too detailed, it confuses the client and they don't understand what he is saying. I like to keep it short and to the point.

--
Patrick Dacey
SouthWest Inspections
San Antonio TX