Seismic Valve on the Utility Side

Had run across this at a stop today, I just don’t this done very often… Meter gets read over fence, I guess with the meter spun to make it visible, no one has noticed… and that valve ain’t no spring chicken.

I guess the part from the utility’s requirements didn’t get read :smiley:

“When you hire a licensed, qualified professional to install your seismic or excess flow valve, you must ensure that the valve is installed on your houseline, not on SoCalGas’s facilities.”

I attached an illustration if anyone runs across this… or an improper install, taken from SoCal Gas’s website.

gas co illustration.jpg

When these valves were first required in Los Angeles, they were installed by the utility company. It was common at that point for them to be installed on the UC’s side of the meter. In 1997, SoCal Gas discontinued installing them (although they were/are still required by the city) and issued a directive that they were to be installed on the home owner’s side of the meter.

So in short, if they were installed pre '97, they will likely be on the utility side. I include this statement in the report when I find them installed in that manner;

The seismic shut-off valve has been installed on the meter side, which is the property of the utility company. Although its location will have no effect on its function, the valve should be on house side and you may wish to have it relocated. A natural gas seismic shut-off valve automatically shuts off your gas service when an earthquake of a sufficient magnitude occurs at your home’s location.

This one wasn’t installed by anyone “qualified” :smiley: I had told the buyer to check with the Gas Co to avoid any inconvenience.

I should have copied/pasted the other info for reference from SoCal Gas’s website… They indicate 2002?? Either way… for us in the field, it’s difficult to know one way or the other.
I can’t recall a customer ever providing feedback as to whether their install was noted on record from utility, when installed in the discussed manner (utility side)… you?

Effective February 10, 2002, California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) Decision 01-11-068, prohibits installation of a seismic valve on SoCalGas’s facilities. In addition, SoCalGas no longer installs seismic shut-off valves for its customers, and does not allow any customer owned equipment, including excess flow valves, be installed on SoCalGas’s facilities.

“If you have a seismic valve that was installed by SoCalGas or one of its authorized contractors on or before the February 10, 2002 cutoff date, that is located on SoCalGas’s facilities, with proper documentation your installation may be allowed to remain in place. Authorized contractors are those who participated in SoCalGas’s seismic program and were trained by SoCalGas to work on their facilities.”