Seller wants me to pay for faulty wiring

Originally Posted By: randerson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In my opinion Jim, you should have been thanked by the vendor for exposing a severe safety hazard. I had a similar situation while testing tub surround (I always give it a few hard knocks to see if the wall behind it is soft or rotten). The vendor was home when I did the inspection and came racing in to ask what I was doing. When I told her, she asked what would have happened if my fist had gone through the wall. My response was that then she would thank me for exposing rotten walls behind the tub surround. She said “Oh, I guess you’re right”, and left the bathroom smiling.

Originally Posted By: stephen walker

Question: When coming across something that does not look right, do you take pictures of it before, during and after? Not the normal inspection stuff more like in the case of the wood screws above, it seems pictures would speak louder than words and do great to say look it was faulty before I got there. I am just thinking it might be a good idea in the case litigation may come up. If for nothing else than to CYA.

Just wondering

Steve Walker

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Stephen,

If you can see that there is a problem before you touch something, by all means shoot it. Like Jeff P. I take a lot of pictures and it has been a savior a few times. Early on I had an irate seller threatening me with a state board hearing and a lawsuit because I “cost her the sale of her home” by deliberately lying in the report (though she never offered a motive). I wrote and told her how many pictures I had, covering virtually every item in the report. Not another peep. It’s hard to argue with a photograph.

Originally Posted By: jgallant

I got a card from the realtor that was with me during this incident. The sale went through. An electrician who came to look at the panel said a “wire had shifted” and that no damage had been done. The realtor said he and the other realtor felt that I had done nothing wrong and had done good job. So case closed.

-Jim Gallant

Owner, All Point Home Inspections - Poulsbo, WA www.allpointinspections.com

Co-founder, ReportHost (Web-based report writing service) www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Way to go Jim!! icon_cool.gif icon_cool.gif

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.