Selling home insurance policies

Originally Posted By: David Brown
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a question for everyone.I am new to this business,and I found the E&O ins.is more than I can afford.But I ran across something interesting to me.There is an insurance plan you can offer your clients,(90days to buyer-120 days to the seller)for $15 per inspection.It covers quite a bit of stuff,including the structure and the foundation.The catch is,(as I read it)you must sell it to each client.It does have a deductible.The drawback that I see,is each client is not going to by it.Ok,that means I have to buy it for them.The next thing I think could happen, is it would/could have the client looking for things that are "broke"I know this would not be a substitute for E&O insurance,but it may be better than nothing at all.I could be totally wrong here.I dont know.Or does anyone offer this to there clients,and what were the drawbacks. Just wanted to get everyones spin on it.

Thanks

Dave

Originally Posted By: DGrattan

Can you post more info on this? Years ago in the transmission business - we used to do something similar to this when we rebuilt a customers transmission. It worked great and never had to worry about “comebacks”.

Do you have a website or other information that I could look at?
Thanks
Don

Originally Posted By: hgordon

David, I have been using them and it is a great play up to my clients. Go for it!

Harvey Gordon

SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President

hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Since my liability is for two years, that sort of insurance wouldn’t work.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ekartal

David,

With any insurance or warranty policy there are always exclusions. Who is liable for these if they ever become an issue? Remember, you won't be insured.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We’ve been discussing Limited Warranties on another thread for quite a while already - Maybe we should shift this over there.

Dan Bowers

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Dave

What are the names of the warrenty companies
you're looking at?

I'd be interested in looking into this.

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: psabados

For those who might be interested.

American Home Shield, a warranty company, has made plans to be in attendance at the upcoming Convention. I know that is a ways off, but they a one of the potential vendors that has sought us out rather than the other way around.

Watch for further updates on this and other great Convention events and plans. Hope to see everyone there.

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 236 and counting

Originally Posted By: David Brown

Well, when I posted this last night,I was very tired.I knew Id mess up somehow.What I meant was home warranty,not home ins.(looks like I need o&e insurance just to post on the bb lol)I apologize for the mistake.Ill post the link here so you can see what I was talking about.I am not affiliated with this company in any way.Its just something I was looking at,and trying to come up with some ideas.I wasn’t aware there was another post on here about home warranties.I looked last night but didnt see it.

Dave http://www.ahomewarranty.com/

Originally Posted By: cmccann

We have talked about this topic before. One thing that was brought up was treading on the Realtors warranty sales. I’m not real sure how it works, but I do know that some realtors make money off selling home warranties. I do like the idea, maybe at the convention I can get a better feel for the company offering this service. The last thing I want is my client calling me saying I gave them a worthless warranty.

NACHI MAB!