Septic drain field

Originally Posted By: kbaldwin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi folks, I had the drain field replaced at my home 2 years ago. We began getting backups into the home again recently. I called the same plumbing company out to assess the problem. They sent out a guy to pump the tank($160) and another to evaluate the system($112.50), only to inform me that the drain field was shot and needed replacement(again). They also said the work from 2 years ago was out of warranty. My questions are: What is the normal life span of a drain field? Is there any way to prove inferior workmanship on the work done 2 years ago? Do I have any recourse in this matter or should I just bite the bullet and fork over another couple thousand $$$? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Keith ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Originally Posted By: mkober

Keith,

I'm no septic/drain field expert, but my brief experience with them while working part-time for a local consultant who designed quite a few systems over the course of 15+ years was that properly-constructed drain fields should last much longer than 2 years. But the variables involved can be a BIG factor in determining drain field life--things like soil type, percolation rate, number of branches, size of septic tank, detrimental waste products, size of household, etc. Drain fields can be improperly constructed by contractors ignorant of the best possible system for the existing site conditions or simply unfamiliar with industry standards--one of the reasons we always monitored the construction of installations designed by our firm. Conventional gravel-filled trenches can also be expected to fail sooner than the newer plastic infiltrator systems. Before throwing any money at your friendly plumber, you might consider calling a consulting engineering firm familiar with conditions in your area--the first call is usually free, and he (they) could give you some hints and tips about your particular case, along with possibly pointing you towards a reputable septic system contractor. You might also talk to your neighbors to determine if their systems are requiring reconstruction every two years. Good luck!

Michael J. Kober, P.E.

Originally Posted By: gbell

I would check with the building department. There is a good chance that the inspector is still employed there. He may be able to answer some of your questions.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I?m no septic expert either but I do know that a typical leaching field should last you a good eighteen to twenty years if properly serviced. Something definitely went wrong with this field. When you had your new field installed, did the installers remove the entire field before installing the new one above it or did they widen the existing field or did they locate the entire field to another area? There are a lot of factors to consider when evaluating a failed field.

Let?s start with the most important condition. In order for a field to function properly, it is important for the surrounding soil to have certain characteristics, the most important of which has to do with permeability. The water carrying capacity of the soil must be measured before a system can be approved for building and must be known before a proper system can be designed. Usually a percolation test is performed to determine the adequacy of the soil to support a septic system. Did your installers do this?

Another critical design consideration has to do with the height of the water table. The leach field must have a certain separation from the water table to prevent contamination from occurring. Likewise layers of impermeable "soil' must be a certain depth below the leach field. Was this checked?

Are you adding additives to your system? This action will cause the accumulated sludge to increase in volume or float and will result in sludge being flushed into the drain field, plugging soil pores. Also, some additives, particularly degreasers, may be carcinogens that will flow into ground water with treated wastewater.

Your system of washing your clothes and the detergent you utilize will affect the field also.

We could go on and on about how your system failed but the best thing you can do at this point is to have your system evaluated to determine why you only got two years from it. That is not normal.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kbaldwin

Thanks for your replies. More info: Tank size: 900 gals., house: 1939 sq.ft., occupants: 5, soil type: sand. When state inspector issued permit 2 years ago, it stated 225 sq. ft. as a minimum. The field that was installed was 267 sq. ft. The plumbing company sales manager was here yesterday and stated with that size home and number of occupants, it should have been larger (don’t know why they didn’t say that 2 years ago). He is recommending we put in at least 375 sq. ft. system. At least he says he will work with me on the price some, how much is yet to be seen. So, now we are waiting on a new permit so we can get this in before company comes for Christmas holidays. Now my wife knows what she is getting for Christmas icon_wink.gif

Again, thanks for the replies,
Keith

Originally Posted By: lkage

Keith:

I just put another one in up here at our house because the last one was undersized and as I dug it up I found out it was installed wrong too. The drainfield header was not installed level and it was all draining to one corner of the field.

Anyway, with good course sand, the health department wanted me to put in 2000 gallons worth of tanks (2 compartments) and 900 sq. ft. of field (18' x 50' or 30' x 30', etc.)

They determined the size by # of bedrooms (4), # of bathrooms (3), # of laundries (1), garbage disposals (1) soil conditions, etc.

If installed correctly, up here in Michigan, they last easily 20+ years.

Originally Posted By: lkage

lkage wrote:

If installed correctly, up here in Michigan, they last easily 20+ years.

If installed correctly and maintained regularly, up here in Michigan, they last easily 20+ years.

Originally Posted By: dspencer

I would have the county pull the the records for the permit. All septic systems must have an Inspection by the county no matter if the area has no zoning… EPA thing. If the permit was pulled and passed good luck… if not I would have the installers correct the problem… 15-20+ years easily… usually longer when they do it right.

I have seen installers run out of proper materials and substitute with what they think will work... they get away with this easily cause the inspection phase is done to an area the contractor leave open for visual inspection..doesn't mean the rest was done that way. They also use inspection rods to determine if the soil(sand straw material) was done right.