Septic Systems

Originally Posted By: phughes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I lost a job today because I told a customer that I don’t do septic system because the problems can be unseen and a septic system needs to be opened and examined.

Ok, how do you all check a septic system, and what could I have told the customer that would have made him think I am not incompetent?

Originally Posted By: jremas

Luckily for me, there is training available here in PA. The PSMA or Pennsylvania Septage Management Association has a method of inspection that is widely used in many other states. You can check out the website http://www.psma.net There is some information available to you. For TX, check to see what entity does the training for accepted methods of inspection. Someone has to do it. In my area, without it, you are a lost soul. If you contact the PSMA, they may be able to send you to the right place in TX.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Frank Magdefrau

A properly designed and maintained septic system should last between twenty and thirty years. Always ask the seller for what ever information they have.Try to find out its age,last service,ect.This will make you look competent.Most failures will show up around the leaching field its self.Look for wet spots,lush growth and a bad odor.If there is a willow tree near by it will have its roots all in the field.If there is no information just put on your report to have the system checked by a plumber. Frank Magdefrau

Originally Posted By: phughes

Thanks guys. By the way do any of you use the dye test?

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joseph,Is it ok for home inspectors to give referrals? Frank Magdefrau

I see what your saying now.Do you pay the subcontractor? Frank Magdefrau

Joesph, I have a friend who subs for a pool company.I can have him come at the same time I’am there and charge the client extra for the pool inspection then pay him as a 1099 and maybe pick up an extra 50.00 for myself or would that be unfair? Frank Magdefrau

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hey Frank,

I would say this is something each person has to decide for themselves. If you do make a fee on something then it is my belief that you are going to share in the liability.

In my area a septic inspection is about 500 can't wait till home inspections are price the same.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: kbliss

I had a person that works for a termite company that I called to have a WDO done with the buyer paying this person. He came to me before the buyer arrived and asked if I would be interested in having him do any WDOs I need done and would only charge me $20.00 and I could charge the client $50.00 to $75.00 for the inspection. That is the going rate in my area. He also said to call him directly. Now I didnt just fall off the turnip truck so I know he will pocket the $20.00 and hope he can find some termites and sell them a treatment.

Now I dont mind someone pocketing $20.00 but I dont want him selling a client something he doesn`t need, like saying there are termites or I have even heard of people planting them in an area.

If he is on the up and up How do I do this so I am not vunerable?

Kurt Bliss

Deleted Deleted Deleted Deleted

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Sounds like Joe H is giving you good advice. You could always do the inspection yourself and pocket all the money. Then if you need it treated call this guy up!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hey Joe

In Florida you need to have a state license to do wdo inspections. It is a tough one to get. Need several years of verifiable experience working for a pest control company and then pass a test. You might be able to transfer a state license if you have one now. Something you might want to check out.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Greg,

Thanks for the advice. I know here in PA in order to get the license you have to get applicators insurance. The only thing is you don't have to be licensed to inspect for them just to treat. It would be worth looking into.

Thanks again.

Joe Myers

Joe,

The latest information I have on PA is that you must be a licensed Pesticide Applicator to inspect and/or treat. For Inspectors NOT applying pesticide or termiticide for use in real estate transaction, this would be Category 12. To become a certified pesticide applicator in the wood destroying pest category, one must pass the Core written exam and pass the category specific exam (Cat 12).

The NPCA form is used in PA and you must have a PA Dept of Agriculture business license as well as an Applicators license to complete the form. You must have general liability insurance covering the use and application of chemicals even if you are only inspecting and not treating to obtain your applicators license to do inspections in PA.

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: jremas

Joe H, where is your recent information from? I wonder if it changed? My last conversation with the PA Dept of Agriculture (2 months ago) is in order to be licensed, you must pass the Core 12 exam and the Wood Destroying Insects exam. Upon written proof of pesticide applicators insurance, they will give you a license number. Without the applicators insurance, they will not give you a license number. Only FHA/VA loans are required to have a PA Dept of Agriculture license number, all others are not. There are no requirements to do inspection only except for the FHA/VA. It is because of the applicators insurance that many inspectors sub this out. I have taken the Penn State WDI & Core 12 courses but my insurance only covers WDI inspection, not application so I did not get a license number. I do sub out the WDI but do perform them as needed if it is not an FHA/VA loan.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598