Service drop easments: lack of an easment can be expensive

I just noticed that in this jurisdiction an easement is required for the service drop to pass over adjacent property. If there is no easement and the point of attachment must be changed, the homeowner may be required to pay and it can become expensive, especially if service poles have to be installed. Seems like something worth mentioning in a report

I think that’s quite common in many jurisdictions. . .

hmmmm…interesting…in our area the power company has RIGHT of WAY for service lines as they deem fit. Can’t you imagine a residence complaining and the POCO saying…fine they dont get power…YOU dont get power…thehee…

Glad I dont do work for POCO…I never ran into this before…

“hmmmm…interesting…in our area the power company has RIGHT of WAY for service lines as they deem fit”

I bet that isn’t entirely true. They have easements and some may seem like a random thing but they do get platted when the land does. Without the easement I doubt they can just string a wire across your property. I suppose they could use eminent domain to get an easement where one doesn’t exist. I bet you would have to be compensated if you had a problem, like a roof too close or something.

Greg, I was refering to the fact most put easements into the property and in most areas their is a 10’ easement along the property boundaries for these types of purposes…they run the lines along these and when needed to drop the line…they usually stay to the side of the property needing service.

Man…with eminent domain and right of ways and so on…I am SOOOOOO glad my job leaves me OUT of those fights…

I say…LOOK guys…I am the Electrician…I dont deal with the Service Drop from the pole…thats POCO…let HIM file the paperwork…:slight_smile:

The 10’ easement next to the road is pretty universal. They don’t even deed that property to you here although you still need to mow it. When it gets messy is when it goes through someone’s yard. We have one of those across the street from me but it is still on those people’s deed.