Service Grounding and Bonding?

My standards of practice indicate that I am required to inspect “service grounding and bonding”. My question is, does this include water pipe and gas pipe bonding?

The reason I ask is because I very seldom and almost never see bonding of the gas and water piping. I don’t want to be calling this out as a defect just because I don’t see it when It very well could exist.

You should only ever report what you can actually see… NEVER assume!!

3 Likes

Example narrative:

Water and gas piping bonding was not seen.

2 Likes

What type of gas piping? Good old black gas pipe does not require additional bonding.

2 Likes

It did when I put in my whole house generator. Is that different, Rob?

1 Like

According to the NEC it has always been that way. There has been some confusion about this but the NEC only requires that the electrical appliance that may energize the gas pipe to bond the gas pipe via the equipment grounding conductor run with the circuit feeding the gas appliance.

2 Likes

Thanx, Rob!

Yes, it’s black piping.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if water/gas pipe bonding is something we should be looking for or is that going beyond interNACHI’s SOP?

SOP states that we inspect “service grounding and bonding”. So that leads me to my next question, what is precisely included in service grounding and bonding?

Here’s the applicable NEC section:

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to any of the
following:
(1) Equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system
(2) Service equipment enclosure
(3) Grounded conductor at the service
(4) Grounding electrode conductor, if of sufficient size
(5) One or more grounding electrodes used, if the grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to the grounding electrode is of sufficient size

2 Likes