Service Panel and 2 Slotted Receptacles

Looking to strengthen my knowledge of older service panels and 2 slotted receptacles.

Should this panel have a service disconnect? 100AMPs? Aluminum and Copper conductors are present. I actually found a few three slotted during the inspection as well.
How do you recommend that this be written up?

Who knows? Not enough information.

Looks like someone changed the panel and yes a service disconnect is required. Also I do not see any aluminum conductors only tin coated copper. What is the issue with the receptacles?

You’re a licensed home inspector?

1 Like

He’s asking if there should be a service disconnect in the panel.

The answer is yes since it appears that there are only 3 conductors in that SEU cable feeding the panel. My guess is that someone installed the new panel and bought a MLO instead of one with a main breaker.

You are assuming there is not a disconnect located somewhere else.

That’s correct, if there were then the SE cable would need to have 4 conductors not 3. It’s SEU cable it would need to be SER.

No one is arguing. Of course there must be a disconnect.

Simple job for the inspector to report the lack of a disconnect means.

Exactly why I posted what I did.

Just put it needs to be inspected by a licensed electrician.

I see a lot missing in that panel so just recommend that it be inspected.

The receptacles can easily be changed and QO breakers have GFCI breakers they can put on those circuits so they do not have to re-wire to have the ground.

1 Like

What is his job as a licensed inspector then lol?

To not know things I do since I am an electrician…

You point out the glaring items that are the broad range of items just as it says all through training because I promise for everything you find wrong with the electrical, I bet I could find many things you missed. So he did his job

3 Likes

Until the asshat sparky throws the inspector under the bus and claims the inspector should have discovered all the other things wrong that the sparky did. Fuk that shat!!

If the realtor has a brain then they would know the game and the difference between an expert in a trade and an inspector.

I have only called out two inspectors because they were careless as hell in their wording and saying a 3 year old Eaton panel was a fire hazard!! Come to find out, he was friends with the buyer. He is no longer an HI and the other one missed so many basic items that there is just no way in hell I could let him represent what an HI should be. Other than that, as an electrician, I could care less if their wording is 100% because in reality an HI creates more jobs for med…so why would someone throw someone under the bus unless they truly were careless

You haven’t been around very long, have you?

Hello all! I hope all is well! I have a question about a receptacle on the service panel. I do not see an issue with it, but I have never seen or heard of anything like it before. I could see there being a rule that something like this cannot be attached directly to the panel, but other than that, I am not sure. Is this an issue and if so, what should the verbiage be? Thanks in advance. Stay safe!
…it is not GFCI protected either, but other than that…

Is this a main or a sub panel?

Receptacle box can not be supported by conduit alone or fittings. the box must be secured to the wall.

There needs to be a disconnect within sight. also from that picture the panel does not appear to be bonded. If a hot wire were to touch the panel wall the entire panel could become energized.