Service Panel concerns

Originally Posted By: bnelson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m in the midst of some “practice inspections” that I’m giving away while I learn where I’m weak. In a service panel yesterday I noted these things and need some feedback:

1) Non-coated aluminum service entrance conductors. Always a concern?
2) Un-used, bridged 20-amp breakers, (2), switched on. ?
3) un-capped branch-circuit wires. Should un-used bare-end wires be capped?

Thanks for the help...

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

In my opinion

1) Non-coated aluminum service entrance conductors. Always a concern?

No, not always a concern and not a NEC requirement unless the labeling on the panel specifies anti oxidation paste must be used.

2) Un-used, bridged 20-amp breakers, (2), switched on. ?

No problem whatsoever, no NEC violation and very typical.

Sloppy workmanship, not an NEC violation unless those uncapped wires are live.

I cap or tape wires like that because it is a good idea not because the code says so.

FYI The section of the NEC that says.

Quote:
110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

Is unenforceable, you can not enforce something that can not be clearly defined, the rest of 110.12 is though.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: bnelson

Bob, Way to slam dunk that answer, man. Thanks for the info and education.

Brandon

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Bob ... The newer AA-8000 series AL wire as of a few code cycles ago isn't required to have the paste, but the older AA-13000 series wire had issues so I understand paste always had to be used for these connections (or ya could get corrosion at the connection, which IMHO is the important thing to look for at terminals for somewhat older AL wire). Do ya know if use of the paste was a specific code requirement for the older AL wire, or just required by the manufacturers listing/labeling? I don't recall it being in the code.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert I do not know the answer to that.

As I came into the trade I was taught to always use it, and given the impression it was a requirement.

Then when I partied less ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) and got more involved with the details of my work I found that many things I took to be the code where not.

Many things turned out to only be "because we always have done it that way" items.

Here are a few more.

1)Does the NEC require a light switch in every habitable room?

2)Does the NEC require a receptacle in a hallway?

3)How many receptacles per circuit in a home does the NEC allow?

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

No.

Only if it is more than 6 feet of unbroken wall space.

Unlimited.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Bob Badger wrote:

Sloppy workmanship, not an NEC violation unless those uncapped wires are live.

I cap or tape wires like that because it is a good idea not because the code says so.

I agree that they should be capped, or, better yet (in my opinion) all circuit conductors or that future circuit should be taped together, marked "future use" (they are required to be marked as such), and then the grounded conductor, the ungrounded conductor and the equipment ground all insert into the ground terminal bar.

I have seen too many "future use" conductors NOT MARKED, NOT CAPPED, and NOT SECURED in place, which are right up next to the main terminals (because they either got moved around, or their coiled tendency overcame whatever force was holding them back and they started to coil back up (like conductors do).

roconnor wrote:
Do ya know if use of the paste was a specific code requirement for the older AL wire, or just required by the manufacturers listing/labeling? I don't recall it being in the code.

Bob Badger wrote:
Robert I do not know the answer to that.

As I came into the trade I was taught to always use it, and given the impression it was a requirement.

Then when I partied less ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) and got more involved with the details of my work I found that many things I took to be the code where not.

Many things turned out to only be "because we always have done it that way" items.

I don't think it was either code or manufacturers listing or labeling. I think it just became the "prudent" thing to do, and all "prudent" electricians did it. If I recall correctly (that was a long time ago) there really was no "requirement" for it. I'm hedging because I'm not sure, I "think" there was not a requirement.

Bob Badger wrote:
Here are a few more.

Bob

Jerry -- Yes, not a light, but a light switch, i.e., a "switched outlet" or a switched light.

Jerry -- One, if over 10 long.

Jerry -- How many do you want? You DID specify "home", as in dwelling unit.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

jpeck wrote:
If I recall correctly (that was a long time ago) there really was no "requirement" for it [paste].

Thats what I recall ... but your dating yourself again Jerry ... ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

(Duck)

BTW ... Jerry, do ya know when the NEC switched the requirement from the AA-13000 AL wire to the better AA-8000 AL wire that doesn't need the compound? I have a gap in my codes so I am just guessing around 1990 to 1993 ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“How many receptacles per circuit in a home does the NEC allow?”

There are many examples of where there is a limit.

I'll give you one and see how many more you can add.

Using the Jacuzzi post ---- one "single" receptacle.

Mike P. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Cut me some slack here I pulled these out with out much thought, it was not really meant to be a test. icon_lol.gif

Bob Badger wrote:
Here are a few more.

Bob

1)No

2)Jerry you got me on that one, ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I was thinking only habitable rooms.

3)As many as you want.

Mike I think we all know individual branch ciruits only serve only one load, but show me where it says it can not be a duplex outlet.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob

"but show me where it says it can not be a duplex outlet"

Jacuzzi requires a dedicated circuit. To me that means no other equipment (outlets). Hence a single recp.

I know it would be hard to plug something in under a whirlpool but you could.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Mike,

You are stretching words.

Quote:
"How many receptacles per circuit in a home does the NEC allow?"

"per circuit", did not state for a specific circuit, so the assumption can be made that the general question was referring to general use receptacles.

No limit. How many receptacles do you want on it?

I saw this recently in an e-mail.

What are a redneck's last words?

"Hey Bubba, watch this!" ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Again

There are limitations.

As a general rule you "may" put 100+ outlets on a circuit in a residential application.

There is a 180 va rule in a residential application.

Not every circuit but some.

Mike P.

Mike Parks wrote:

There is a 180 va rule in a residential application.

Not every circuit but some.

Mike P.

Where or what is limited to 180 va? ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob

There use to be a requirement for additional circuits to use 180 va.

Since I can not find it you must disregard my previous post.

I do not believe that 220 allows unlimited outlets. IMHO it is for the calculation of the homes load.

210.11(A) is poorly written, but I believe it implies that some calculation of each branch circuit be performed.

Since no ***va figure is given, I "assume" the 180va figure as standard.

Where I would use it is to prevent you from placing all the bedrooms on one circuit.

I would not limit the number of outlets, for example in a family room.

I would also use 210.11(B).

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

As to my knowledge, it is not against any code to put some, or all of the bedroom room receptacles on one circuit.

To my knowledge there is not limitation in the code, or anywhere else which limits the number of receptacles which can be placed on a circuit.

I believe you are trying to make applesauce out of peaches. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Joe

You are correct.

"I" believe that there is an "implied" limitation.

If you use the 3va per sf calculation for the home's load, should you not use that sf va per each room?

Question not an answer.

"To my knowledge there is not limitation in the code, or anywhere else which limits the number of receptacles which can be placed on a circuit."

Again correct, in a residential application.

My question is how do you balance the loads?

Again, I think that the code did not want to keep you from adding extra outlets in a room. Not to put "all" outlets on one circuit.

Now as an AHJ can I make you do what I want?

"Yes".

Do I make you do want I want?

No.

Do I use common sense?

Well it depends on to whom you speak. ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

Answer this. If you put all bedrooms one one circuit (assume a five bedroom home) have you meet the workmanship "rule", which I can enforce?

That is why we are given some latitude.

Mike P.

I have read before that all you are required to provide is the watts per sq ft., as long as that is complied with you can have as many outlets as you want.

As far you making me do what you want, no not a chance in this state. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

The State is the AHJ, the people I see at the job site are local electrical inspectors, they can not 'make' me do anything that is not directly written in the NEC or the MA amendments.

I always have the option of going to the state with a problem, never have had to though. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

By the way the workmanship rule is one of the unenforceable sections of the code, you can not enforce what can not be accurately defined.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob

Follow me on this.

The calculation is for load. Not for a per circuit max.

Nothing in the NEC tells us how to figure a circuits load (15 or 20 amp general purpose in a residential application).

How do you balance your loads?

Could I make you put more than one circuit in a 1500sf bedroom (and yes there are homes this big)?
3va X 1500sf = 4500va?

IYHO (in your humble opinion) do you think that the code wanted to allow additional outlets in a room without requiring an additional circuit?

Do you see where I am going?

Mike P.

Mike show me some code articles. icon_wink.gif

Balancing the panel load is a separate issue.

Hey I do not suggest to put a truckload of outlets on one circuit, but it is NEC compliant in a dwelling unit.

How many outlets can I put on the laundry circuit?

As many that will physically fit in the laundry area. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

How many outlets can I put on the small appliance branch circuit?

As many that will physically fit in the kitchen, dinning room, pantry etc.

Quote:
90.1 Purpose.

(B) Adequacy.
This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum