Sewer cameras and chimneys?

Just curious if anyone out there has ever had any luck using sewer inspection cameras doing chimney inspections. I am thinking of expanding my services offered and do not want to buy multiple cameras for sew line and chimney inspections. I was thinking I could eliminate a lot of roof climbing and getting into some unsafe positions by using a sewer camera which is a little stiffer than a typical chimney inspection camera. I was going to see if I could bend the head back on itself and do a push scan from the interior instead of climbing the roof and chimney and doing a drop scan. I would imagine one of those large wiffle balls with a hole cut in the bottom would be able to hold the camera head bent back on itself and allow for the end to slide freely up and down a chimney or vent stack easily.

Paten office?

Hi Scott, I looked into awhile back and felt this (rigid seesnake)would work well for the money. If you search the threads you can find past discussions about. You may have already seen it.

Thanks Scott…but I already have one of those. It’s a little undersized for what I want to do and does not have the ability to record.

I am looking at color cameras 70 - 100 feet long with the video output jacks and dimmable light sources. I found a couple of USB video capture devices and was going to use my tablet pc as the monitor. That way I can record in digital format and include it with my inspection report if I find a problem.

South Coast EquipVery knowledgeable over the phone.

Sounds like a tough job.
I used to try inventing all kinds of things and bought many parts when the imagination was not enough, so what I am saying is do not blow the dough till you are sure it will work.

One of the members (damn my poor memory )mentioned that he was using security cameras and I think it may have been Dale.

The lighted security cameras typically area not true color in low light situations. They switch to black and white very easily. Black and white images are hard to distinguish fine details most of the time. Besides, they area too large to use for sewer inspections and are too expensive for a good waterproof model to simply try out to see if it will work. i know if I buy a sewer camera, I can at least use it for sewer lines. I was thinking I could get a few more uses out of it to make the investment that much more worth it. Was thinking about using it for duct work inspections too.

Kinda thinking like an electrician here. Ask any sparky how many uses a screwdriver has besides tightening or loosening a screw and I bet you will hear a million uses for one simple tool.

Hahaha
That is a simple tool, but the more expensive they are the less you seem to be able to use them for.

When I was young (darn forgot all about that job) I worked for a industrial cleaning business and they would lower me down industrial chimney’s on a Genie devise (kinda like repelling) and have me crawl through ducts to clean them.

Gosh was I skinny!

Just curious ,but what is one of those sewer cams running $$$$ now a days.

You can find really cheap ones for $299, but they are not true color cameras. I am looking a real cheap full color 70’ system with a small LCD and dimmer control for in the $400 - $500 range. 70’ would work just fine for me being here in a major city. The sewer lines aren’t that long here, even in most of the suburbs except for a few areas. Chimneys are typically 2 - 3 stories plus basement most of the time. And most ducts aren’t going to have runs that long without having multiple access points along the way.

I spent $200 on a Rigid Seesnake mini and it’s only 3 feet long. I think it is worth trying out for a few hundred bucks.

Actually, it’s a set of Klein’s you can build your own powerhouse with.:smiley:

I have a good friend who is a union electrician and have worked with him on a couple of prodjects. If I ever see him use a tool for what it was intended for, I think I would have a heart attack.

In Chicago we have such a strong plumbers union ,I would probably be executed, but the price sounds good.

Heck as Suzie Orman say’s… YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED.

Scott,

You need a chim-scan setup. Contact Teddy Cuttitta of HiTor Chimney Sweeps (he’s listed here) and ask him for some advice. He’s one of the most experienced sweeps and chimney lining experts in the US. He will tell you what you need to perform a proper Level II inspection using a camera.