Shingle Defect

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_0031.JPG ]

Do not suspect hail, damage was limited only to sides of tabs, not along bottom.

Originally Posted By: lleesch

I have only seen this one time and it was awhile back. It was on an Owens-Corning shingle in their Woodblend which is the same as this shingle. They attributed the cause to a dull knife that was cutting the shingles as it went thru the line. It would appear on the same left/right orientation and at the edge of the tab in the same location. Instead of cutting the base clean, it was cutting and tearing the fiberglas mat. The piece that was torn came out over time leaving an a small area like your pic. A defect like this wouldn’t be found at the plant because after the base is cut, the granules are applied and they cover the defect. I’m not totally sure that this is the problem with yours but hopefully it is helpful info. The owner might want to have the shingle manufacturer inspect as there may be some warranty still in effect.

Originally Posted By: rgallahorn

Thanks, it seemed to be too uniform for much of anything else but a manufacturers defect.

It was time for a replacement anyway, Inquiring minds just want to know.

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

Larry,

I don’t know why this is happening but I will tell you why I think the Owens-Corning guy was handing you some B.S.

It is a very rare situation that a shingle is cut to butt up to another shingle.

Not unheard of but rare and usually will be near rake edges or penetrations.

Cutting shingles out in the big field would throw the tabs and cutouts out of sync with the pattern they are trying so hard to achieve.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Leigh,

I believe Larry said the shingles were damaged during production at the O.C. plant.The damage being caused by dull knives on the line.

I also would be inclined to believe it true as I was to install a roof a few years back and found the same problem.I opened up three bundles (1 sq.) and found them all damaged in the same way.Needless to say I sent them back to my supplier and ordered a different run # to replace them.

Respectfully
Cheremie

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

OK I get it and agree. I Wondered what they meant by the line the roofers were cutting through. And as to a “defect like that not being found at the plant” I somehow took it to mean this can’t happen at the plant. I seem to be wrong alot today. Iwish the day were over.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Leigh,

No biggie.

It takes a brave soul to tread these message board waters.Folks can be brutal icon_sad.gif

The truly wrong thing is the installer of the roof who was in the position to act as “Quality Control” and just didn’t.

Cheremie