Shingle Life Expectancy

Originally Posted By: Mike F
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi, I’m just a regular home owner and would like a bit of advice.

It appears that shingle warranties have increased over the past few years. It seems that shingles sold as 15 year shingles in the past are now rated at 25 years. Has the life expectancy actually increased or are the manufacturers just playing a numbers game figuring few people will still reside in their existing houses in 25 years?

My current roof is 14 years old with 15 year shingles. It will definitely need to be replaced next year. I'll likely be in this house for a while and am wondering if the 25 year shingles are worth it. I can't justify the cost of a metal roof.

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Mike,

The shingle mfg warrantee does not include labor, is prorated for the remaing warrantee period and only covers those shingles affected. Due to grandular loss you will not be able to perfectly match new shingles with those from several years ago. This results to very few people bothering to make a claim. And those that do are usually disapointed in the piddley amounts received.

It is not uncommon to hear of mfg rewrapping lower warranttee shingles with higher warrantee shingles as inventorties require.

My advice is if you are set on asphalt shingles, don't waste your money on the higher warrantee shingles. Just my two cents ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Mike F

Hi Paul,

Oh, I wasn't going to try to make a claim on the current roof, just commenting that the 15 year life expectancy was accurate.

Thanks for your advice, that's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: Larry L Leesch

The shingles that had the 15 year warranty had a felt or organic basesheet that was used to saturate the asphalt coating before the granules were applied. The newer roofing materials use a fiberglas mat instead. The manufacturers are able to use more asphalt and fillers to extend the life of the shingles. The 20-25 year shingles are a much better product. They are more flexable/pliable without breaking in the heat as well as the cold weather. They are also lighter in weight than the old organics by about 30 lbs per square. Only drawback, they bruise easily when hot.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Mike:

A shingle is only as good and the deck it is fastened to. Also, the life of a shingle can be dramatically reduced by not having proper attic ventilation.
Make sure your deck is sound and attic is properly vented before investing in a new roof covering.

Regards.

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com