Should a HI have knowledge of new or older requirements?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_cool.gif

Should a Home Inspector be aware of the electrical requirements for brand new buildings, or for buildings built during the 1800's through the 1990's?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: dharris

Both

Originally Posted By: mcraig

both but we must all remember that some tings are different in different parts of the country. historic homes were built in different parts of the country and there care for the last 100 years has been different for different parts of the country, Harry Homeowner has done 100 years of repairs out here and somethings are grandfathered out here. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tdove

Knowledge of codes are help full in any inspection but home inspector are not code inspectors in most cases

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Hey Tom Dove:

New Kid on the Block? Very Cheap Inspections!! Are You For real?

Do you do the South Bronx too for $149.00?

How about the basements? See any Crack Houses, yet?

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I need some shots of old and tampered with wiring.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: tallen

I like the Mon. thru Sunday thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: mcraig

Lay off the Crack Houses… I do a large part of my business from low income, Crack houses, Drop houses, Violent crime etc… icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

If you want to make a good living do the homes no one else wants to do.I like doing all kinds of homes there a great learning experience. It is wild to go into a home after the homicide clean up crew has gone in and they have repainted replaced the carpet etc… and they are still trying to get the smell out icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif I make a good living doing the inspections no one else does. You should see the disclosures on some of these homes and how the Realtors Tap Dance around the history of the home. I did a suicide house six months ago that was a real charmer and the Realtor did a dance better than any one to date ( they sold the house) then one month later I inspected the house for a new potential buyer and this time they said the home was Haunted and they couldn’t live there. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

So do the homes enjoy them and make a living ( some one has to do them…

Originally Posted By: jpope

jtedesco wrote:
Hey Tom Dove:

New Kid on the Block? Very Cheap Inspections!! Are You For real?

Do you do the South Bronx too for $149.00?

I couldn't even afford to gas up my truck at that price. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Joe, I think basic knowledge of older requirements is necessary as well as new code knowledge. The problem is that the NEC is a bit "heavy" (complex) for the average HI (myself included). Interpretations vary widely among the experts as is proven time and time again in our forum.

I think you, and the other experts that frequent our board, help us more than you will ever know.

Maybe if there was some type of general timeline material (like Jerry P.'s GFCI chart) outlining basic residential changes that we could put into a format like the current Code Check. That would really be a bonus.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

As is says on the disclaimer, I am not an HI but I would think you guys should be pointiing out anything that is not current code. It may not be the seller’s fault that the house predates a code change but someone thought the issue was important enough to change the code.

Who cares that old style aluminum wire was legal in 1971 if the house burns down in 2005.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

It is important to know safe from unsafe and things that have never been allowed. A general working knowledge of the codes is great to have. Also, every county adopts things at different times. GFCI’s have been required on the exterior since 1973, but unless they have been updated they won’t be found on house built here before around 1980.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe T,

Personally, I don't go there.

If it was good enough for the NEC to put in writing today, I would suggest the electrical system be upgraded to comply with todays standards.

Considering the potential of the electrical system to cause loss of life and financial distress, I would never considering adding anything that would water down the importance of updating those systems.

Joe Myers