Should a warranty managment company be HI licensed?

Ah, well at least that makes a little more sense. That’s not part of our warranty management/walk through package. We also offer builders a quality control inspection on their homes to assure that the home is free of cosmetic defects and that the components are in working order prior to meeting with the buyers. It’s also useful if there is a developer and general contractor relationship, for example a condo building. We act as a third party quality control service so that the developer and GC can agree on a middle ground for completion.

I never thought of it as a home inspection but I guess I can see where he’s coming from. It makes a lot more sense than complaining about the warranty management/walk through aspect.

So the question changes to: Should a quality control sub contractor require a home inspector license?

Wow, once you are on the Radar it makes things interesting. Once you start mentioning meeting “Specifications” you are opening a can of worms, IMO.

Was the “Concerned” Board Member a Wa Licensed HI too, by chance???

Will you elaborate?

Unlike Home Inspection Boards in other states, the Washington State Home Inspector Advisory Board is made up entirely of State Licensed Home Inspectors. There are no Realtors, Appraisers or other entities included.

I think a simple change in the terminology and the wording that Kevin is using would make it a moot issue.

That would also be my guess.

But I would wonder why a HI on a newly formed HI Board (that can not provide meeting minutes in a timely manner nor detailed IMO) would go looking for non existant trouble. Almost sounds personal…:smiley:

The lag for non-member posts on this board is insane! Am I the only one that has to wait for hours for a post to show up?

It was about a 3 hour meeting with one 10 minute break that happened yesterday. The people with the tape would not have gotten back to the State offices until late yesterday. They would be sent to a clerk for transcribing off the tape. Since the transcripts would become legal documents, they are not rushed. I am also pretty sure there were dozens if not hundreds of other State meetings that took place yesterday that also have the meetings transcribed.

I don’t know the reason it was brought up other than the wording in my previous post.

O’Handjob polices the message boards. Some say that his extremely small penis has driven him to a insatiable rage for power. I think it has more to do with boredom…waiting the weeks between posts on his message board. One team — One boss.

Wow! Did Bushart delete his post or a moderator? That was freaking quick!

I just looked at the wa state hi web page, they are not in a hurry with the minutes is all…:smiley:

As with all official minutes for just about every organization, state or private, I know of, the minutes must be approved by vote or changes made and then approved by vote at the subsequent meeting. The August meeting minutes were just approved yesterday. I think that is why they put the audio recordings up much sooner.

Just out of curiosity (I haven’t read the entire law), is a home inspection, in the WA state law, defined as being part of a real estate transaction?

No. RCW 18.280.010

(5) "Home inspection" means a professional examination of the current condition of a house.

What do you think Stephen? Should a quality control sub contractor of a builder be required to get an HI license?

I know what you are doing and don’t have a problem with any of it. It is the wording that you used that leaves room for them to interpret it as something a home inspector would do.

Contact Stephen Cancler on the Board. He is on your side, as is Steven Smith.

Kevin, I think (and Im only speculating) you would have to stay within the builder subcontractor relationship. When you start working for or with a buyer or home owner. (i.e. who is paying you) and looking to “identify” conditions you become a home inspector.

Did you read post 21? We offer a quality control service as well.

Here’s the next thought: If the state rules that my “Construction Completion Verification” is considered a home inspection, I would not only be required to get a license but would also be required to write a SOP report for every verification. The state would be forcing me to perform a home inspection when that’s not the service I offer. I don’t go into the crawl, attic or on the roof. That would be unreal. It should be interesting to hear their opinion.

I agree. We only work as a sub for builders.

I would highly suggest you attend the Business Practice Committee meeting where this will be discussed.

Last I heard, it was planned at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park on November 10th. They were leaning towards a morning meeting. Keep checking the DOL Home Inspectors website for the confirmed time and
place.

The first two bullet points in that section of your services is what was giving them cause for discussion. That is why the Oregon law was brought up in regards to how many items in the SOP can be inspected before it becomes a full home inspection.

If I remember correctly, the discussion among the Board was if you were an employee of the builder, that is part of the construction of the home. If you were a sub-contractor, you would be hired just like other licensed trades to perform a service. There is the rub.

I think it’s the wording.