Should ASHI raise their entrance requirements?

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

ASHI member Thomas Laurito gets blasted on TV. He is also a member of the scam outfit PHIC.

http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

Should ASHI perhaps consider raising their entrance requirements? Currently ASHI has NO ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS other than paying them $$$.

Consumers should not use members of any association that has NO entrance requirements.

http://kdka.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8156&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=9

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Q. Can you guess which association, ASHI or PHIC, has this inspector for a member???

A. Both... http://www.nachi.org/kdka2005.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Regardless of which association or inspector these “news” reporters go after, I don’t like “gotcha” reporting. If they have to create the news, it ain’t news.

My attorney had me put a clause in my pre inspection agreement stating that any filming or taping of video or audio during the inspection may only occur with prior written permission from the inspector performing the inspection. I wonder how he thought of that ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif) ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

I'd like to see someone do a story like this on some of these TV reporters. Dan Rather anyone?

I just like that it backfired on the ASHI/PHIC dirty tricks gang big time.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Originally Posted By: rcooke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the training in the world does not make a good inspector . I have a friend in Toronto who just had an inspection down on the home last week . she was selling. The Registered Home Inspector ( RHI) moved the stove and damaged the kitchen floor ,he inspected the attic and left a lot of insulation on the floor . He took the cover of the Air Conditioner and left it in the drive way . He turned on the Breaker in the panel and tried the Air conditioner . The temperature the night before was 5 degrees C (40 Degrees F). I do believe the SOP says do not turn on any breakers that are off. I do believe we have all been taught that AC units have to be turned on at least 24 preferred 48 hours before running them . I do believe we should all know that when it is to cold last night we should not be trying the AC units . I guess this inspector missed a few classes.
Roy Cooke.... RHI .....Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: rwand

Just as a point of interest the Ont. Building Code exam is open book.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Dave Bottoms wrote:
gromicko wrote:
Should ASHI perhaps consider raising their entrance requirements? Currently ASHI has NO ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS other than paying them $$$.

Consumers should not use members of any association that has NO entrance requirements.

With all due respect, Nick, that's ridiculous. I mean, who cares about entrance requirements?
. The bottom line is you have to stop fixating on the entrance requirements, it's just not relevant in the scheme of things.

Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

Dave

At least NACHI members have taken some exam before they can do an inspection .
With OAHI just pay your money and do inspections. Yes to become an RHI you do have to take a lot of training but to be a member of OAHI and do inspections money only counts . .
Strange how Dave manages to post to the closed forums any thing that he thinks makes NACHI look bad but the other things from the same reporter about ASHI seems to get lost.
Roy Cooke sr . RHI..... CAHPI-ONT.

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Good point Ray - Yes the OBC exams are open book. They are likely some of the most challenging exams with an extremely high failure rate. Exceed 50%. But also in fairness the failure rate would likely be 100% if it was closed book exam because of the legalese of content that needs to be quoted right down to the exact chapter, article and sentence. There are many courses to pass, and it is not open book online. It is definitely an extremely challenging exam meant to “weed out” the the wannabe.

You cannot or at least will not be able to practice being a municipal building inspector without being first certified as of July 1st 2005.

Equally on the issue of who can inspect - why join any association - there any number of home inspectors that need belong to any association. Save money, play by their own rules, ethics - who cares - make your own, puts every association to shame. Now top that one!

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

rcooke wrote:

At least NACHI members have taken some exam before they can do an inspection .

Correction. They pass an on-line exam befor becoming a member. An exam passed by non-trained people on a regular basis.

If the NACHI exam is to be considered valid a Reporter and building Maintance person should not be able to pass it. Even together.

Didn't the reporter say several of his realitives also passed the exam?

I do not think it matteres about who took and passed the exam. Bottom line is they did a Buyer Beware story saying Beware of NACHI inspectors.

Nick said he was contacted about doing something with that station. When was that contact and when is it scheduled to happen???

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: rwand

Also worthy of note is that anyone in Ontario can currently practice home inspections. One can also take a college course that qualifies one to practice home inspections. So to say that an association can with limited resources somehow better qualify inspectors is not factual to say the least. Quite frankly I would have no reservations recommending an inspector who has a college certificate in home inspections. A college certificate is a recognizeable certificate, it also carries much more credibility and weight than an Association in my view. The myth that somehow an association which self regulates and sets its own standards would appear to be less credible to the public who is familiar with most of the colleges offering home inspections.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I’m beginning to think that all associations/requirements/ exams whatever, mean nothing. Some of the best inspectors I know are truely independent. Yes Nachi has an online exam but let’s get real. How do you know who’s taking the test?

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

ekartal wrote:
I'm beginning to think that all associations/requirements/ exams whatever, mean nothing. Some of the best inspectors I know are truely independent. Yes Nachi has an online exam but let's get real. How do you know who's taking the test?

Erol Kartal

Erol,
Now you got it. Just like the term Certification. It is a catch word for the public and the un-knowing.

People should ask for qualifications, training and experence. Not are you certified.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Don’t want to get into some one else’s high level conversation

BUT the fact is - One is an HI when one wants to say that one is an HI - no school, exam, or number of inspections defines a good HI. We all know that some of the new kids on the block will over inspect just because they are new, thus perhaps making them better that the person that has been in the profession 10 plus years and is just playing the odds and putting on a show

Now to the issue which is PR
Sometime is must be bad mouthing the other guy and sometimes selling our positive. In any case doing nothing is not the answer

Perhaps one NACHI HI in Pa should take the reporter on an inspection to show what is and is not SOP

We are the GP not the surgeon of the home inspection profession.

Now start sending emails to the reporter and his boss that his two hits to our profession are understood and without some balanced reporting his station could become another ''NEWSWEEK"

This man has hurt the whole profession - I am looking for his email address right after I hit the submit button

The test does not make us certified - membership makes us certified and that includes but not limited to our SOP and Code of Ethics which stands as high or higher than the membership rope of any org.

Regards

RLB

PS The fat lady has not sung in Fl yet as near as I know

Quote:
Correction. They pass an on-line exam befor becoming a member. An exam passed by non-trained people on a regular basis.

If the NACHI exam is to be considered valid a Reporter and building Maintance person should not be able to pass it. Even together.

Case in point - I know several realtors that have tried it a long with others. They passed. I also know a few students that have never tried inspections (architecture background) they passed it too. Indeed perhaps we all know a few that have done the same.

The main points being there is no control over who, or how or what it took to become successful to pass the online exam. It has no significance or relevance to certification validity in its present format, claimed rightly or wrongly it appears by some as making them feel confident and possibly self-proclaimed as certified. Also some of the questions are not Canadian friendly, and seem more local for interpretation for the correct answer. Not a big issue - but just another point of differences from region to region, and country to country even here in North America.

Yes the online exam will likely change. With the best of intentions - it has become a target for good practical use, but also at the same time abuse! As Dave and Richard questioned - perhaps its validity in its present form has expired.

--

so long as they have some ca$h. This hurts inspectors as well. Don’t get me wrong, some of these Candidates are fine and will do well, the rest shouldn’t be out there doing home inspections for the general public.

Then ASHI does the most ridiculous thing any trade association in the world has ever done... hold on to your hat... it encourages these Candidates, who have NOT fulfilled ANY requirements whatsoever... get ready now... hold on to your hat... ASHI encourages them to go out and do 250 fee paid inspections for actual poor unsuspecting consumers.

WHAT!!!!??????

Yes its true, I was an ASHI Candidate once and ASHI's Executive Director encouraged me to do actual inspections for unsuspecting consumers in order to gain what they call "full membership."

I swear it is true today as well.

Anyway, that is why NACHI at least has some requirements that applicants must fulfill before even applying to NACHI.

http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm

I'll explain it on the world's most powerful radio station, KDKA, again so that consumers and REALTORs understand.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

to McDonalds for employment (because they couldn’t pass). We tell all of them to go join ASHI. ASHI has no initial application requirements at all. (ASHI has far less application requirements than the kid saying “Thank you for choosing MacDonald’s, How may I take your order?”)

ASHI continues to take $$$ from these wannabees and dumps them into our market where they charge $125 for a home inspection.

It is no different than the Japanese dumping steel into our country.

Thanks ASHI! ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Why do the ASHI Candidates ASHI keeps dumping into our market charge $125 an inspection?

Because they are trying to get work, they are idiots, they can't pass NACHI's entrance exam or fulfill http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm , they shouldn't be in the business to begin with, and ASHI is encouraging them to get a certain number of bad inspections under their belt to become "full members."

IT IS TOTALLY WACK!

Look at the big picture.... does this do the consumer any good? Is it good that we have to compete with these desperate ASHI Candidates who haven't fulfilled any requirements? Is it good for us? Is it good for the consumer?

Look at the big picture.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: rbennett

yes

yes

yes

End of story

RLB

Quote:
Look at the big picture.... does this do the consumer any good? Is it good that we have to compete with these desperate ASHI Candidates who haven't fulfilled any requirements? Is it good for us? Is it good for the consumer?

Please explain to me how NACHI members are better qualified? So I can put this all in perspective.

--