Should ASHI raise their entrance requirements?

Originally Posted By: rwand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Are you allowed to google the answers? Are you allowed to have multiple life-lines to help you through it? Are you allowed to cheat? That's the difference when there's a facilitator in the room watching you take the test. Not to mention the fact that before you become building code qualified you have to take many courses and many tests.

Dave

For your information you do not have to take the courses as I understand it. Anyone can go in and write the exam for OBCQ providing you pays your money.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Quote:
NACHI will certify anyone without any HI education, which means the fly-by-night guys who can't be bothered with learning the trade can get certified just as easily as the no-nothing reporters.

Dave

I didn't suggest othewise, so don't start splitting hairs with me.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Quote:
The only difference is that with OAHI you have to complete over a year's worth of education before you get Certified.

It is not a years worth of courses, it only takes a year because the courses are offered periodically throughout the year.

http://www.oahi.com/inspectors/m-courseinfo.asp

At best Oahi certification process is not up to scratch with a college home inspection certificate. I have seen some major screw ups by Oahi members everything from ethical lapses to failure to excercise a standard of care by so called qualified inspectors. Sure they take the courses it may qualify them, but it is no guarantee of excellence it is only a risk reduction tool. I am currently involved with clients who have issues with the local building department inspectors (OBCQ) who screwed up and caused my clients financial loss, and failure by the inspectors to ensure their contractor was meeting the building code. So much for testing and writing exams.

I would have to agree with Roy about Oahi being a money making effort. Anyone can see that by looking at the financial statements.

Raymond Wand R.H.I.
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

Ok, so with all this being said. What are your suggestions for improving this situation?

No matter what is done there will always be somebody willing to take the easy way out. Cheaters will always be cheaters and find ways to circumvent the system.

Lets see some positive spin on this rather than constantly talking about why this association is better than the others or vice versa.

Start to put forth some positive suggestions and then lets see what happens.

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

rwand wrote:

At best Oahi certification process is not up to scratch with a college home inspection certificate.

Raymond Wand R.H.I.
Alton, ON

I have taken a so called College course. Although interesting, it let me wondering if I would allow anyone passing that course into my house to conduct an inspection.

The only "Certification" that was offered was a "Certification of Completion". Very few if any would be qualified to conduct a proper home inspection.

The failure rate of people taking this course was very high as the students were certainly not prepared to get into the business. Those who did soon failed.

It takes more that ANY one course to get into this business. Time, solid quality courses, follow-up, help from peers, reviews, mock inspections, ride-alongs, etc., etc., etc. will allow people to SLOWLY gain a foot-hold in this business. And in the beginning you must have (as Nick would say) "thick skin" to allow all the negative comments of being a "newbie" roll off you.

Understand that all Colleges offering HI Courses are not created equally!

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Bob

It is easy. License inspectors in Ontario. Only accept college accreditation, and have a governing council made up of home inspectors and lay people. The BOD reports to the governing council. Oahi/Cahpi cannot assure impartiality, nor can they guarantee members rights are not trampled on.

The National cannot guarantee anything nor can Oahi.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Mr. Bottoms

It is clear to me you are not impartial. You have once again mistated the facts. Do you ever report objectively and truthfully?

Raymond Wand R.H.I
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: lewens

Everyone jumps all over passing the test and becoming instantly “certified”. When did NACHI say that if you passed the exam you were certified? All passing the test does is allow to to become a NACHI member. I also agree proctoring the exam is the only way to go to get rid of the naysayers, but, at least NACHI does not allow someone, with no knowledge whatsoever of the industry, become “certified”. I am going to say it again. NACHI did not certify

me I became certified before I became a member of NACHI. We as an industry have to expect criticism from the general public and all the “I’m better than you because” people due to the number of complaints surfacing in the media. The only answer as I see it is a reputable board in each state or province with the power to put someone out of business for gross negligence. I bet the insurance premiums would drop then. Hence CHIBO and all the state licensing boards.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Dave,

As stated, It is true that anyone could cheat on this exam, there is no doubt there.

You must agree that a proctored exam would be better....... no?

So now someone studies hard and in fact passes that exam. Nobody can then say that these people are "qualified" to complete a home inspection.

No matter what association anyone belongs to there are No guarantees that any one person can take their knowledge and apply it in a proper fashion.

An association is an association, is an association and nothing more. Each association has it's benefits and pit falls. They all vary.

Proper regulations for ALL inspectors is what is really needed. When that happens each association will experience a decline in membership. But they will for the most part survive. The ones that will survive will offer comradery, training, meetings, education and the like, on a volunteer basis. Will this then change the likes of the threads you see in here, and the comments from one inspector to another.......NO!

That will never change as long as we are individuals with different personalities. Then it will become (although regulated) "my association is better than your association" and life and these threads will still continue to be alive and well.

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

deleted by author

Raymond Wand R.H.I.
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Gentlemen!

Lets not start defending one association by belittling another.

We all know what will happen here now........ it will become a pissin match between a few people.

Been there done that and have many T-shirts to prove that. So lets not start that again please.

Take your private "P" matches to email.

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Dave Bottoms wrote:

You have two choices, Roy: either debate the issue as a gentleman or try to start a pissing match with me again. Which do you think would be the smarter move? Please try not to drag this into a mud slinging contest.

You said: "With OAHI just pay your money and do inspections."
Dave

Dave please tell me where I am wrong .
Can a person who is tired of construction that decides to become a home inspector not buy the package from OAHI. Fill in the application pay the fees to join OAHI . Get insurance send in the proof of insurance and now go and do inspections.
That's the way I have seen it working what am I missing.
They have done no test's just paid the money and of they go .

Roy Cooke sr A Happy member of NACHI.
NACHI has a Forum open to all to debate and get information.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rbrown1 wrote:
Gentlemen!

Lets not start defending one association by belittling another.

We all know what will happen here now........ it will become a pissin match between a few people.
Take your private "P" matches to email.

I would like to think Dave was being fair and not only putting out Information on the Canadian forums about NACHI . But he has not posted about ASHI or said anything about the RHI Inspector screw up in Toronto.

You can be sure if this was done by a NACHI member he would be getting a lot of mileage with it . He has a hate for NACHI and Nick . He keeps complaining but does not tell all about how much NACHI is doing for its members and how it gives us so many places to get info and help from so many places .
Roy Cooke sr ... RHI.... CAHPI-ONT Royshomeinspection.com

Mr. Bottoms

I would suggest to you that 30 plus years of working in the building trades as both a carpenter and a general contractor and then taking an accredited course through a well respected school, in class, with one of the best instructors I have ever come across gives me the right to say I am certified never mind the designation given me by the school. I doubt there are many OAHI applicants or students with as much experience with a building envelope as I have. Do you Mr. Bottoms have the experience I have?

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

So Mr. Bottoms it appears to me that as well as doing home inspection you are also doing home renovations. So in essance you are either a part time home inspector or a part time home renovator. Which is it? and if you are part time at anything you have just lost all credibility with me and I no longer will see the need to pay attention to anything you have to say as in my estimation you are not a home inspector or a renovator and you are probably inviolation of your code of ethics on both fronts.

Larry Ewens CHI

Just my usual 12.5 cents

NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com

Originally Posted By: dharris

In following this topic the 1st thing that comes to mind is,

Who in the He-- does Gromicko think he is, asking NACHI members, Should ASHI raise their standards?

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Yes, that is true. As a side story - I know a municipal building inspector that wrote one of the required exams and failed 3 times already. Just curious if he will have his job come July 1st.

So I guess the moral of the story is perhaps some people think they know it, but still fail when it comes to measurement by a controlled and proctored assessment.

I know many that have taken the courses and it has helped them realize what they really don't know and need to know before writing the exam. I look at them as examination preparation courses. They specifically train participants in what to expect and information that will be covered on the exam.

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Quote:
In following this topic the 1st thing that comes to mind is,
Who in the He-- does Gromicko think he is, asking NACHI members, Should ASHI raise their standards?

I was beginning to wonder if this was another ploy to deflect the obvious.
Regards, claude

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.