Should either of these be requirements of membership?

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Should either of these be requirements of membership?

1. Take the Standard of Practice Quiz at http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm

2. Complete the Ethics Obstacle Course at http://www.nachi.org/ethicsobstaclecourse.htm

Either?
Both?
Neither?

Nick

Originally Posted By: rking

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Not to be a stickler, but these tests were quite easy, I would have no problem with members having to pass these two tests, most of it could even be open book in that if you don’t know it for sure at least you should be able to look it up quickly.

Joe You-marked-93.59%-of-the-statements-correctly Burkeson (Close Enough)

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

icon_lol.gif Joe-you-are-just-not-overly-thorough-with-93.59%-Burkeson icon_lol.gif

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"

Originally Posted By: mrose

Nick,

It is appropriate for NACHI members to have and demonstrate an acceptable level of our ethic and sop documents.

These are readily available to members and can be mastered with an appropriate amount of study.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We must also remember that they are not intended so much to be examination/quizes as they are self-evaluation/improvement tools.

Most exams don't let you know what you missed/got wrong.

http://www.nachi.org/ethicsobstaclecourse.htm 's purpose is to help inspectors confirm to themselves that they have no misunderstanding about the Code of Ethics.

http://www.nachi.org/sopquiz.htm 's purpose is to point out to an inspector any area he/she may be overlooking during an inspection... and... alert him/her to those places he/she is going above and beyond the call of duty.

An exam, like our http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm already does a good job at measuring an inspectors overall knowledge. Making sure we are all on the same page with: what we inspect, what we don't inspect, and our business ethics... requires more interactivity than just a final grade.

Since we already require our members to abide by the SOP & COE, perhaps we should also help them do it by having them perform these two other simple tasks.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jpope

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Nick,

I spoke to the licensing department in Philadelphia. There reply as you know was that they won't accept the NACHI association membership as a recognized home inspection agency in the city due to the fact that our test are not proctored.

What is your slant on this? Can we obtain a proctored test within our org or do we have to go outside? Is this something that we are working on?

They are vague with there info but they said they would accept ASHI, NAHI,and the testing agency cert from Jersey. (There name escapes me)

Bob

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I agree with the requirement for both.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Nick,

I am assuming that you mean take the tests after you have joined NACHI?not those just joining and becoming members ? please clarify for me.

Also if these are required ? are we going to track whether the eval was taken? ? are we going to track score or percentage correct? - What happens if someone should fail or perform miserably time after time?

The reason I ask is because if these are truly self help/self evaluation tools then a person should not be required to utilize them ? granted it is definitely to their benefit. But making someone take a self help test if they do not care about what they do is pointless.

Woke up with my devils advocate hat on today.

BTW ? when not wearing my new hat I think both evals are great.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

It seems to me that we should be spending more energy educating the powers-that-be that the exam formula on this website has better value than a one time hard-to-get-into-exam-one-has-to-take-in-isolation-somewhere. Having free access to the exams puts important info in front of the potential HI every time he(or she) accesses it. Contrary to old school beliefs the system used on this site allows for more info retention resulting in better educated practicing HIs. It is time to change the old ways of thinking and recognize NACHI members as experts in the field of home inspections. I have to admit when I was first introduced to NACHI I had my doubts about the creditability of this organization. In fact, in my circles NACHI is referred to as “Nauseous”. Since that introduction and after spending many hours on the site, I have learned so much more than I expected. I have taken the exam multiple times ( and have averaged 88 on my final scores), scrolled through many discussions, participated by stepping on a few toes (ooops). All of this has helped me learn more about my chosen industry and in my opinion, made me a better HI in the process. I have sat in a room with a number of HI’s who have done the C&D courses, written the provincial CAHPI exams, I am constantly horrified by the lack of knowledge and/or professionalism of some of the members. I will do what I can to help build this organization into the reality the original creators envisioned. Man, this is starting to sound like a cult gathering! icon_biggrin.gif Hail to our leaders! The NACHI cult is born! icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to NACHI Lisa from a fellow Canadian. nachi_nachi.gif

You really have to watch what you say about the higher ups in this org. though.

If their collective heads get any bigger from all the deserved praise their avatars will not fit anymore

Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: chorne

My opinion is

Not really necessary

Carla

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I don’t really think we should have two or three or four different tests for membership. Roll them all into one test. It will require the prospective member to not only know about inspecting a home, but also about the standards and ethics required by the organization they are attempting to join. We can and should have questions about our standards of practice and ethical conduct of a home inspector in our entrance test.

Nick

PS To my Canadian friends Robert and now Lisa, Chris worked all day today uploading our newly purchased postal code database for use by our forthcoming Canadian home inspector search sites.

Cool!

Muskoka Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Our entrance exam is touted as not being association-specific.

If this is Our entrance exam, why wouldn't we want it to be association specific? We are the only ones who use it, right?

Everyone knows that the NHIE is the ASHI exam, I think the problem there is that they are trying to disassociate themselves from the exam and force it down everyone's throat as "The Exam", states included. Heck, I had to take it for my county license. (That in and of itself is enough to make anyone against licensing)

I'm all for having to know these things, I am just a bit dense tonight, me thinks. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

you join.

Nick

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Kevin Leonard

Yes. I think this makes the most sense.

Nick