Should I do it?

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I got a call requesting an inspection yesterday regarding a home that had extensive fire damage. The call was from a regional bank that held the mortage on the home at the time of the fire. The representative of the bank gave me the owners name and asked that I call her for the information I needed to estimate my charges. So far, so good…

The elderly owner I spoke with said that she had been living in a hotel for months and desperately wanted to go back to her home but she couldn't. She went on to say that the bank would not pay the contractor until the home had received a certificate of occupancy and that it hadn't been issued because the home didn't meet "code" and the power company refused to install the meter.

Does this sound like something I want to pursue? The bank is offering to pay my fees; they want their mortage payments. The contractor is badgering the elderly homeowner, the owner wants her home back, and no one is happy!

I think I know what to do, but I want your input.

Regards,

Alan Fernbaugh
Five Star Inspection Services
Baton Rouge, La.

Originally Posted By: rray

Interesting scenario.

I turned down virtually the exact same thing a couple of days ago. I turned it down because they were looking for a code inspector, which I am not. I didn't understand why the bank would not accept the contractor's work and why the building permit/code enforcement officials wouldn't sign off. I thought it was a lawsuit waiting to happen for me and encouraged my caller to consult with the mortgage company, the city, and the contractor to get the appropriate permits signed, that a permit that has been signed off on typically indicates that the work was done to code.

Your mileage in your state may vary.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel,

My thoughts exactly. I am going to pass on this one.

Regards,
Alan Fernbaugh

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Alan,

Did you ask them why they did not call an electrician if the city would not pass the electrical system? It would seem they are going to need him anyway if the city states it does not meet the codes to begin with.

Joe Myers

Joseph,

I did ask that question and didn't get a satisfactory answer. The Lady I spoke with from the bank wanted: 1) A comprehesive assessment of the entire re-building with a percentage estimate of completion by system and 2) an opinion on what was needed to meet code. I related to her that I was uncomfortable with both of those items and stalled for time to think about what I should do.

Regards,
Alan Fernbaugh

Originally Posted By: janderson

Sounds like the bank is looking for more of a construction management consultant rather than a home inspection. Probably want someone to come in and do some handholding and show the inexperienced contractor EXACTLY what is needed to pass the final inspection-- I’m sure there is a good reason that the local building inspection department has not completed the final inspection and issued the Certificate of Occupancy.

Within the seeds of ignorance lie the fruits of denial

Jeremiah