Should I have been able to answer this question

I add some more - ty

Great! And, you’re welcome. :smile:

Before the inspection I did ask them about any special request And when the husband showed up he told me they wanted to know if the basement leaked in water and what year was the furnace manufactured. She was not at the inspection. And yes I know that outlets and receptacles are applying to 2 separate things and you are correct I need to study that a more before I start using the terms again. But I would appreciate some clarification on this subject. I am just not making out that much of a difference between the two from what I am reading and looking up.

You are on the right track Greg. Number of outlets is sort of irrelevant.

I don’t, however, in an older home I may note the number of the bedroom only has 1. For new homes, I believe it’s one receptacle for every wall, and every 12’ of wall.

A table lamp comes with a 3 foot cord and you should be able to position that lamp on an outside wall without having to use an extension cord. And this measurement is not a radius - you must measure into corners.

Receptacles must be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6 feet

3ft cord won’t reach an outlet from center of two receptacles spaced 12ft apart. Not sure how 3ft cord comes into play.

Come on, aa table lamp doesn’t come with a 3’ cord. At minimun=m it comes wiith a 6’ cord, don’t you think, eh?

The man is right, 6’ it is. So it don’t matter where you set it, it will reach a receptacle that are 12’ apart. :wink:

Outlet is the ‘box’ that the switch, light or receptacle use.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is
taken to supply utilization equipment.

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles
are installed.

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection
of a lampholder or luminaire

Might be confused with kitchen countertop appliances.

2" for appl cords

2’? Not 2”?

Thank you Michael, I appreciate your help that clears things up, I always had that issue of not being sure of it and honestly I was afraid to ask because I felt I was the only one that didn’t really know for being somebody who should have know, if that makes sense, but anyways thank you

LOL kind of short

Do you think that I always knew that? Still learning.

1 Like

Greg … Learn early on, YOU train them OR let THEM train you. Over the years you will periodically run into clients that can eat up your valuable time with nonsense type questions THAT are not part of what we’re doing.

A simple answer is, “I’m so sorry, thats NOT part of what we do so I have no idea”.

Then keep moving

1 Like

Over 36+ yrs I’ve had people pepper me with questions like …

What is the SEER rating of the A/C unit?
What type of tree is that out at the rear of the back yard?
How many closets are in the house?
We’re gonna change the door knobs, how many are there?
Our insurance company wants to know if the roof is over 10 yrs old & if so how old is it?

I politely smile and say something like … “I’m so sorry, thats NOT part of what I do … so I have no idea”.

Then keep I keep right on moving.

I BLINDER out on what I do … AND don’t waste time on what I DON’T do.

Over the years I’ve seen WAY too many decent inspectors get sued or miss things that the buyers / agents / etc want them to pay for BECAUSE being what they thought was a NICE guy the inspector let themselves get distracted from WHAT they REALLY should be doing … Not trivia crap

3 Likes

Don’t worry about this one. I’ll comment if there are very few outlets, perhaps, around here there are old homes that sometimes have just one in a room. But don’t feel bad that you dont have an outlet per room tally.

1 Like